Rabbit Jerky

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Gm49007, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Gm49007

Gm49007 New Member

I have been looking into making jerky out of jack rabbits; I under stand the process but what I am having a hard time finding out is whether it's ok do because of the bacteria and parasites, some say don't do it others say its fine. I hear it's better to try this in the fall because the animal will be more cleaned out. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Make sure the meat is good and clean. No worm etc. If you don't have a dehydrator set your stove at 165 degrees with the door cracked open and dry it for about 12 hours. You can marinade the meat in a vinegar mix if you are worried about it. You should technically freeze it for Atleast a month first.
    On a side not keep in mind you cannot live on rabbit.

3. Gm49007

Gm49007 New Member

Thanks for the info. Yea I know about protein poisoning, Do you have a recipe for the a vinegar marinade? I dont want to use to much make some garbage jerky.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Hope you can read this.

Attached Files:

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of freezing for a month? Does this kill parasites? Does the vinegar marinade do this as well? There are plenty of snowshoe hare where I live.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah that's the idea. But you have to figure what's the chances the natives froze their meat before smoking it? The temperature its dried at is supposed to kill parasites as well. Oh and obviously drying times vary drastically based on the thickness,fat content and air humidity.