rabbit hunting questions?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by wicat3, Dec 26, 2010.

1. wicat3

wicat3 New Member

Hey guys im looking to do my first rabbit hunt and trying to get ready for it. Im thinking of getting a 20 gauge shotgun maveick 88 or mossberg 500 in the 20gauge. Any other sugestions in the cheap price range im open too. But my qestion is what load should i use to hung rabbits im hunt in CT and Ny areas.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

most of my rabbit hunting has been 22lr. i have used 20 and 12ga birdshot works very well. i also use longbow since i moved to wis. anything more does too much damage ruining the meat.

3. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Remington 870

Mossberg 500
    Remington 870

Either in 20 gauge; or 12 gauge.
    Depending on your shooting area; 6-8 shot

4. sizir1shotguns

sizir1shotguns New Member

well ive used a double barreld shotgun 16gauge or a 1886 trenchgun works also fine ( dont use rifles :/)

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

6 shot should do just fine on those wascally wabbits. I normally hunt them with a .410 but a 20 ga. shouldn't be overkill. Shoot straight and stay safe, Joe

6. wicat3

wicat3 New Member

Never considered a .410. I have a mossberg 500 12 ga but i figured it would be overkill and i was able to talk the wife into letting me get a new shotgun for rabbit so im not going to say no to her lol.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

.22lr was always my norm also. Just something about spitting lead pellets. Do you have beagles??

8. wicat3

wicat3 New Member

i dont but my buddy does. I plan on getting a few if i get big into it. ive been looking at these H and R single shot 20 gauge shotguns. Are they any good?

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

My middle son has a Topper Deluxe 20Ga. Great little gun.

10. wicat3

wicat3 New Member

Would the single shot be a good idea for rabbit hunting is the real question i guess.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

single shot works just fine on the bunnies. used to use an old HR single shot 20ga for em. was a 59$ pawnshop beater.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use shot under the size of #6 on cottontails. In fact I use high brass #4. It seems to make cleaner kills, has longer range, less holes (and thus "bloodshot" meat), and the pellets usually penetrate fully and wind up under the far side skin.

13. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

H&R singles are a gun that you can pretty much plan on never failing.
    A single shot should do fine for the hunt of rabbits.
    Also if you're looking at spending a little more for a mossy pump or anything in that design, look at the 410 pump mossberg has put out. It seems to be as good as any of the other 500s. Just one of those things I think are cool and would serve the purpose very well.
    Good luck to you.

14. RMc

RMc Member

My...

...sentiments exactly!

15. Walley

Walley New Member

Rabbit Gun

I have used a H & R Topper 410 to hunt rabbits and squirrels for over 60 years and the little girl has never failed me. Not much money and a gun you can pass on to your grandsons. Use #4 shot and you are home free.