R51 in the home

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by hardluk1, Mar 10, 2014.

1. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

My wife pick up her r51 today. I have fired a few mags thru at home and its going to make for a nice pistol. Its advertised as 6.5 inch long but if you line up the grip of a cw9 with it there the same to the front of the barrel. The extra length is at the rear of the slide. Recoil is soft , more like a 1911-9MM . I used some 124gr +P ammo to test it. Took it part to learn about it and fount it had been clean and the floating bolt was well lubed the rails not so much . Its well lubed now. I also found it close enough to a cw9 kahr in size it fits my other holster I have well enough for now. Need to get it to the range for a work out but plased right now.

Price was $357.28 LGS

Photo is my cw9 with the r51

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Nice. I'm afraid if I see this gun in person I will be forced to buy one, lol. And the wife won't like that as she thinks I spend too much on firearms/accessories as it is. How does it compare in weight and feel to the cw9?

Never enough guns or ammo

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The R51 ia about 2 1/2oz heavier and a 1/2" longer but the extra 1/2" is at the rear of the slide as the length from the front of the grip to the tip of the barrel is the same. Grip is also so a little longer with the slide area shorter so you have an easier grip get contol with and a over all leght practical the same. Thickness ir the same and the R51 works ok in the kahr holsters I have.

I did fire another 200 rounds thru it yesterday with zero issues . Broke it down cleaned it up to look for any wear , lubed and re assembled. Looks like it did when cleaned it the first time. Still need to fire another 300 rounds before I decide if its good enough for my wife to carry if she still likes it.

200 rounds at 10yards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Thank you for the report. I am not into new guns but I might buy one of these.

5. varetfed

varetfed New Member

Thanks for the post. This brings back memories of my dad who carried a Model 51 as a backup to his M&P revolver. I look forward to checking our the new R51 - havn't seen one here in Central Virginia.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Look how much lower the bore axis is in comparison to the khar. That was one of several selling points for me. Muzzle flip sucks.

Still haven't even shot mine yet. On my sixth double shift in a row, working from 0600-2200, working a regular shift tomorrow after church, and more doubles on Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the range Wednesday.

So the reports of it being a pain to shoot aren't exactly something to take as gospel? I've been slightly concerned about that, but it fits my hands very well.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have to think nicks ttag review has to be one of the worse on any pistol. I find it an easy pistol to bang away with. Yesterday was a lazy shooting section. We had two other shooters there and we took turn at our line while the others reloaded so barrel hardly got warm. 300 round rounds in 2 1/2hrs . Two days before I gave the pistol me and my maglula loader a good workout with 200 rounds in 30 minutes and no red hand . I even stopped and picked up some of those nitrile coated gloves to help hold on if needed and never pulled them on.

trip hope you get some quality down time soon. That's to many hours .

varetfed hang in there come to a gun shop near you. Better as to call you when one comes in or maybe sold before you get a chance to see one. Our gun shop side if he had 50 of them he could have sold them all. No bad for a small rural general store/gun shop.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Is this nik guy you refer to, the turd who kept comparing the gun to his wilson 1911? If so, I think I have pretty much the same impression of him that you do. Douche.

Does it annoy you to field strip it? My first time, I was cussing to make my Drill Instructors proud. It got easier and much less annoying with practice.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks for the report. I still haven't seen one. The LGS that I prefer in Texas hasn't even been able to get any in yet. Not entirely surprised about that.

But I look forward to finding one.

The more reasonable half, meaning my wife, wants me to wait awhile until all the kinks are worked out. She's reasonable and I'm inpatient. We'll see who wins.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so far i have seen some pretty positive comments about the R51. i think i may have to start looking into one myself. i like the looks of it and might just hold out to see if they do end up offering one in 40. so far, i am impressed with what i have seen and heard about the pistol.

thanks for the additional input on the pistol guys. much appreciated.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Yea , understand that. The 9mm is a nice overall package and it does look like remmy did nice job on it . Now if they can just get up to date there outdated manuals lube and cleaning info , same info in a 50 year old manual I think . I am not sure I would by another R51 as its more of a sideways move for me when compared to the 40 I carry now but can see where the 40cal version could be a top pick for many looking for thin practical harder hitting cartridge other than the 9mm

JW357 My wife would not have hers now ether if I had not asked my dealer about getting on a wish list 8 almost 9 weeks ago. Nether he or the wholesaler had heard of them yet but that got them in gear early on . My wife carried hers yesterday in aher comp-tac rig for her bersa thunder. Lossened up the tension screws a little and if fit fairly well. Works for now atleast.

trip286 I don't remember the kimber remarks but it sounds like it could have been nick. I would not put it past his ability to say that.

Taking it apart. huuummm . I cheated a bit. I read the manual twice then found the better of the internet videos and watched it a couple times. Froze it at the end of the end of the disassembly part and broke it right down no problems. Then there was the GREASE ,LOTS OF GREASE. Ok got it , needs greased up bolt. Got it clean up , relube and greased , watch the video to reassemble and couple times and then returning the slide on to the frame and bumped the receiver block a few times before I remembered to ease the barrel forward 1/8th", bolt fell into place and darn that was easy then. Took it back apart and did it a couple more times. All is well now.

No 4 letter words , but like with most new guns it takes a few minutes to learn the new tricks. I have enough different brands and models sometimes I have to stop and scratch a moment with a couple of them when cleaning time is at hand.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I thought about doing the same thing but my wife didn't wanna buy the gun right when it came out. So I didn't ask to be on a list.

I did, however, talk to my LGS right when I first heard about the gun, which was several weeks prior to SHOT. They hadn't heard a thing about it yet.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It is interesting how a new firearm from a company gets the word out. Some advertise for months , run adds in the rags and have then ready to go finally ,others sort of just show up at the back door with only a little trickle of them showing in people hands. More like the R51.

14. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Purchased this pistol last Thursday. Called Remington that same afternoon to send it back. On 4th or 5th magazine the magazine dropped out after first shot of magazine. Thought maybe operator error, tried it again dropped out after one shot. Thought maybe the magazine was the problem. Not the case other magazine did the same thing.

15. DP03

DP03 New Member

When I was buying my SA 1911 Loaded, a lot of folks chimed in that the FLGR was an "extra step" that they wouldn't tolerate in the field. Well, my 1911's not a field gun, but if it were, it's pretty damn easy.

The R51 has been reported tougher to break down and reassemble than most guns in it's class. Does that bother anyone as a carry gun?

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Some guys will say and complain that a 1911 is hard to breakdown. Other say a kahr is to hard to break down . Others can do it behind there back or in the dark. To often today if a handgun does not break down like a glock its to hard for someone!! . Pour baby ! Read the directions and once you understand how it works it comes apart easy and goes back together easy.

Make up your own mind on how hard it is to break down
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTGk7ZdEhg[/ame]

Field gun?? I always thought a field gun was some kind of artillery but I quess it can be anything today. Your 1911 loaded can be what ever you want it to be too . If used hunting or walking around in a field, just a general use handgun. I guess ever handgun I own could be called a field gun.

17. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Talked to Remington today, they said components for the pistol were being redeveloped and had no timeline of when I would have it back.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It looks like we need to wait until you get your R51 back before we consider buying one. Unless you want a first run gun as a collectors item.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It would be nice if they did like caracal and offer to buy them back and replace them. Guess I am still helping my wife find cw9 sized but heavier "easier " to shot and rack pistol.

Maybe a Pt111 g2 - 21oz , thin and 12 round mag.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  20. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Well I'm sure there are some good r51's out there but I will pass for now anyways. This is a great review of this gun and it's QC problems. Not bashing, but a true honest review with everything on camera.
    http://youtu.be/aTzS4sQfn4U

Never enough guns or ammo