R.I.P. R. W. Loveless

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Franciscomv, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Bob Loveless, one of knifemaking's legends, passed away yesterday morning. His work influenced a lot of people. His selfless sharing of techniques and information left a mark on many knife makers and aficionados.

I remember how, many years ago, I found his book "How to make knives" at a friend's grandfather's library and just couldn't put it down. It was my first contact with the custom knife world (some fifteen years later, that book was left to me in the old gent's will).

Besides his clean, functional and beautiful designs Loveless brought a lot of innovation to knife making at a time when everything seemed to be stagnating. He turned people onto what we now call "super steels" by bringing ATS-34 to the US from Japan for knife making. He showed materials like Micarta could bring better performance than any of the previously used handle materials. He helped start the Knifemaker's Guild.

Those of us who eat, breathe and live knives he's one of those men that you can't help mentioning when discussing the modern knife, together with men like Scagel, Bo Randall and Bill Moran.

He was also a gun guy like us. I had a chance to meet him and his wife Yoshiko during an interview for a Spanish magazine. I remember his 1911 on the coffee table and his fantastic sense of humour. I was just there as a translator, and I was tremendously nervous. It was one of my first gigs and to make matters worse I worshipped the guy. I was terrified to make a mistake. After listening to him talk about his knives I decided to adopt my "no safe queens" rule.

His knives are now worth thousands of dollars, which kind of pissed him off. Looking through some old press clippings I had gathered during my research I found this phrase which always makes me smile. Ha said it back in 1980.

"Why would anyone pay $3,000 for a hunting knife? They say, because my name is on it. I'm carrying an awfully big rep. If I were a gunfighter, I'd be hiding in a cave somewhere. But I wouldn't spend that much money for a knife if it were autographed by Jesus Christ himself!"

Rest in peace, Mr. Loveless.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

R.I.P. Bob

Attached Files:

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Godspeed Mr. Loveless - Your contributions shall not be forgotten!

JD

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

** mad respect **

Attached Files:

• orig.jpg
      orig.jpg
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
  5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Beautiful craftsmanship. Rest in peace sir.

6. freefall

freefall New Member

Not quite to knives what JMB was to firearms, but a giant in the field.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

BLASPHEMY!! This man's true genius has not been judged by 100 years of "innovation" yet.

My money says he will still be mentioned by the great-grandchildren of this forum. You know, in the future, when all they have to do is THINK about what to post and it appears on their cornea-fed-interwebz-sub-window. :cool:

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

R. I. P. Mr. Loveless sir! Your devoted contributions to craftsmanship and design function will always be in the forefront of other knife creations. ** Respect **

[​IMG]

9. freefall

freefall New Member

His genius has been judged by about 40 years of "innovation" now, and most of the "cutting edge" designs(including mine) are derivations on his work. If you think I lack admiration for Mr. Loveless; well, I know you're uninformed because you know damn little of me.
    I love ya JD, you've been damn decent to me since I discovered this coffeeklatch, but I think sometimes you're a wee bit fond of bringing the hammer down with a "declaration of truth".

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Never into knives too much and had never heard of Robert Loveless until now; my loss. His knives are artwork, pleasing to the eye and of obvious functional utility. May you rest in peace, Sir!

11. freefall

freefall New Member

Dune, I dug around and found my copy of "How To Make Knives" by Richard w. Barney and Robert W. Loveless. Definitely worth a read. Mine cost $14 a few years ago, they might have it at a nearby library. I'm going to read it again in honor. Would suggest it to anyone.

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

A Master Craftsman that will leave a long lasting legacy.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think if you knew Dillinger as well as you do knives, you'd have read JD's post as the humorous response it was.

"All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!" - cane

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out." - Rodney King

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's true, that post was entirely in jest and was not meant to offend. Mea Culpa. :eek:

JD

15. freefall

freefall New Member

No offense taken. I've just been being misunderstood a bunch lately.