R-51

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by rb522, Jul 17, 2014.

1. rb522

rb522 New Member

I just read that Remington recalled all the R-51s and is taking them off the market . Does anyone know what's going on with this ?

When in doubt , go faster !

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

They've pulled all reference to them off their website. I never even saw one in person. I hope they will be refunding full purchase prices for everyone that bought one.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Somewhere, there is a product manager looking for a job.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Yea, the R51's were garbage. A way outdated (and dangerous) design that only lasted 9 years in its original production anyway. It was stupid to try to revive it.

Ohh well, just the standard of business and quality we have come to expect from Remington....

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Post the link??

They have been doing a buy'n them back for a couple months now. Just being quiet about it.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the R51 failed the first time because it was a bad design. seems history doth repeat.

they should have just made it with a delayed action like other proven designs made it look like a r51 and called it a r51a... it would have been cheaper to produce sell well because its nice looking and been cheaper for the customer. most of all it would have worked well.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The R51 had good reviews in the glossy magazines. Not to blame them, just a reminder about what all that paid-up hype is worth. I still don't know what went wrong with the pistol, and have no reason to gloat or bash Remington. I did check out a new R51 at a LGS. The trigger pull was so hard, it made the the gun feel obsolete. I could not see any selling points, other than being different and inexpensive. It won't be missed.

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Looks like Remington is trying real hard to have the product offering that Ruger has. When I think Ruger I think pistol, when I think Remington I think shotguns and rifles.

the R51 looks like the 1950s version of what a hand held laser gun would look like - or maybe a Gene Rodenberry prop

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

i was hoping they would be a good gun but not dumb enough to jump on the first issue. Any new gun needs some time to get the bugs out but some just dont have what it takes.

10. rb522

rb522 New Member

Whatever the problem is , it happens quickly . A LGS had 4 go out and all come back in a couple days . I just hope no one is carrying one and trusting their lives to it !

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Asked at a LGS today about the R51 recall - the owner had no idea. Looked it up, no recall. I think what happened was, Remington just pulled it off the market. Not a usual problem recall, with an advisory and a fix. The R51 at the LGS is still for sale.

12. rb522

rb522 New Member

Might be worth grabbing as a collector piece . You know , kind of like an Edsel .....

13. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Too bad. I had high hopes when the 51 was announced. Big Green really screwed the pooch with this POS.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Or tell the dummy at the lgs that the wholesalers will take it back and get a credit.

15. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

More like the Ford Pinto. We've seen how Pinto prices have recently sky rocketed. It only took 30 years, but a nice clean, low mile example will set you back almost $1,500 in 2014 dollars. That's almost what a new one cost in 1974!!! (unless you adjust for inflation, then that's $310.00 1974 dollars).

A decent Model 51 (on which the R51 was largely copied), will cost about $400.00 today. Considering production ceased in 1927, that's a return worse than the Pinto, when adjusted for inflation ($27.00 in 1927).

Neither the Ford Pinto, the Remington Model 51 nor the R51 would be recommended investment choices with their negative return on capitalization when adjust for inflation.

16. armoredman

armoredman Member

Saw one on the shelf on Monday...after all the negative reviews, I didn't even ask to see it. Instead, I looked at a Rhino revolver next to it. ;)