Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by woody63m, Sep 10, 2013.

1. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Holy crap this sucks it's so hard me and my wife quit for like 3 months and then started back up and now were trying to quit again I forgot how much it sucks at first FML I can't wait untile it's at the point where it doesn't bother me anymore and I can breathe better

2. rurak

rurak New Member

Just think of all the food you will be able to taste again ........ stay strong

3. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You're doing better than I did.
    I cheated...I used Chantix.
    Keep after it by whatever means necessary.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Start chewing tobacco. It will give you the nicotine you want, but it is sooooo socially unacceptable anywhere and messy that you will have much less trouble leaving it behind. You will also develop a fear of leaving random coke bottles about.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's worse the second time around.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Skoal Pouches

8. woody63m

woody63m New Member

I also dipped trying to give up nicotine completely

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

After 30 years of smoking I quit cold turkey. That was 6 1/2 years ago. I'm not kidding when I say this...the first 18 months are going to be hard. If I can do it, anyone can do it. I didn't use patches, gums or pills, I just stopped. Think of all the guns and ammo you can buy with the money you'll be saving. good luck and hang in there

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It all works out. Americans are encouraged to stop smoking. Smokers are banned from public streets and scorned. They are then encouraged by doctors and drug companies to use expensive substitute drugs and devices. The Tobacco farmer is on food stamps and pharmaceutical companies are Billion dollar corporations. Humm?:confused:

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

But weed is OK right?
    The same group of libs doing the scorning and banning of cigarettes seem to be OK with people sparking a doobie.
    The tobacco farmers apparently need to grow cannabis to gain acceptance back into polite society.

Then of course there's the final option:
    [​IMG]

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Hang in there Woody, think of all the money you'll save in no time at all you can buy a new gun :D
    I quit back in 1981 when they sold for somewhere between $.50 and .75 cents a pack! Outrageous I thought who the heck is going to pay that?!

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yeah, I don't get the whole "get that nasty tobacco away from me you inconsiderate a$$#@!&, but it's ok for me to smoke pot." Folks.

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I quit cold turkey over 6 years ago and don't miss it at all. The first year was rough because hubby still smoked but when he quit it was easy. I would definitely try to quit together. Good luck!!

15. fordracing

fordracing Member

The biggest trigger for me was driving to and from work. Avg hour drive. I started munching on big carrots. They take a while to chew on and the next thing I knew, I was home. Pretzel sticks worked too. Good luck.

16. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

And wouldn't you rather buy bullets ;)

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was smoking 2 1/2 packs a day when I quit. That was 18 years ago. I did it cold turkey. You have to have a good reason. I quit because I met the woman of my dreams. She was a non smoker. Take the money that you would have spent on smokes. Put it in a jar. Don't just say you are going to do it. Actually do it. Then reward yourself with it. Buy something you really want. For me I would be spending like $12 a day on cigarettes. With that kind of money you go buy a Barrett! Or maybe a new Camaro?

This may not be easy. It was for me. But I was head over heals for a hot blonde with big boobs. Don't give up. You will be so much better off later. I run into smokers every day. I can't believe I used to smell like that. Just don't give up. Take it one day at a time. And if you do have a set back...realize it is just that, a set back. It is not a failure. Keep going. Stay away from other smokers. Being around them will not help at all. It will get a lot easier after a week or so.

18. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I quit smoking 2 years ago. I quit using snuff a year and a half ago. Best thing I ever done. I quit cold turkey. It was ruff. I wish you the best of luck. Only advice is tough it out. It gets better and so will your health. The cravings never completely go away. I will always be a recovering tabacco user.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Actually the cravings will go away. I have no urge to smoke at all. I hate the smell of cigarettes now. Don't worry. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

20. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Hang in there, it does get easier. I quit after 30 years of between 2 - 6 packs a day of Winston Reds, also gave up Scotch at the same time. Hardest year of my life , but today I look back a think of all the $$$'s I dumped on that BS. Good Luck