quirks

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mountainman13, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Is it weird that I always back into or pull through parking spots so that I don't have to back out? Is it a ptsd thing?
    Anyone else have little quirks like this?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MOUNTAINMAN,

Yes I do the same! While out, or parking my vehicles in the garage or in the driveway. There are several reasons!
    1. When I was in LE on one occasion I had pulled frontward into a parking spot at a restaurant to eat one evening on duty. We got an emergency call and two units scrambled from the meal and our table. I jumped into my squad car and began to back out very quickly! Making ready for the light and siren emergency run. Out of my peripheral vision I saw a shadow or something and slammed on the brakes. An elderly woman had walked out from behind a van that was parked next to me and directly behind my car. She was on a walker also and I stopped just in time as the rear bumper touched the walker side rail. No harm to her except being frightened as I certainly was and I have never forgotten that night all these years later. Scared the ****** out of me to think I could have killed her because I was pulled into the spot and backing out and unable to see clearly. So I always back in even today or as you stated pull through.
    2. At home if something ever goes on I am ready to quickly deploy directly without having to back up, stop, turn around and then respond.
    I am with you on this idea! Nothing wrong with your thought!;)

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Comforting to know I'm not just a whacko. Lol

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I count steps....and dont like even numbers...other than that, im perfectly normal...:D

5. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

I freeze popcorn before i eat it and I always wear 2 pairs of socks...is that the kind of quirk you're talking about?

6. hoovco

hoovco New Member

When I was a joe, I thought combat parking meant you pulled your vehicle in like you were about to go mess some sh*t up. I learned what it meant pretty quick.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i do it all the time. part of my reason is, many times i have parked in the daytime and had to leave at night, and it was easier to back in during daylight than backing out in the dark.

one company i worked for, when driving a company vehicle, you had to back into a parking spot per company safety rules. so i just ckind of became use to doing it.

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Always pull into a pull-thru spot! And sing out loud while driving!

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I drove a clunker in college, i always backed in so i could get a jump start...

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MM13, you are either comepletely normal, or we're just as crazy as you!:p

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Either way I'm in good company. Lol

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I drove beater cars for several years in my poorer days. That's exactly why I back in, too. Also, it's safer to back in than it is to back out, as Sniper mentioned.

And yes, I'm full of all kinds of quirks. Too numerous to list. And it gets worse as I live alone. :(

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Our company policy, and that of several major corporations we do business with- combat park unless you need access to the bed of a pickup (some of our trucks carry a nuclear density gauge chained in the bed)

Much safer.

A quirk is trying to sort your M&Ms alphabetically.......

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I've found it just easier to back in when I'm driving my extended cab long bed.
    It get's to be a habit, because I love to back-up. Perhaps that's my quirk!

15. GunsGodAndCountry

This thread reminds me of the ambush scene in Generation Kill.

Is it at all possible for any of you to back the eff up?!

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I like to see what i'm pulling out into, just in case I can clip a bear on my way out. :D

I also backed the family van ONTO my sister's sentra many years ago and was not pleased with the results.

I'm not sure THAT has really been established, but your parking habits don't seem abnormal.

17. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I swear I am not judging you but freezing pop corn should be a sin. When I eat take out chinese i let it get cold first. I also let grits get cold before I eat them if I have the time.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have found it easier to back my pickup into a parking place. Aim the a$$ and go!

What gets me is those who are slow to make a corner, or slow to start from a light, but are the first to pass you once you are at legal speed on the open road.
    If they have to be so careful with making a corner, why aren't the just as careful about the speed limit?

19. GunsGodAndCountry

Its soooo good though. The butter solidifies and its amazing.

20. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I do as well. I've met quite a few people who do it as well.