Quiet round capable of possum-sized pests

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by buckhuntr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Wasn't sure of the best place to ask this, but I need a quiet AND effective round - rifle or handgun - that is capable of dispatching a possum or similar-sized critter inside the chicken pen, without scaring the next 6-month's egg production out of the birds.
    Thursday evening after work, I was making my nightly rounds in the pen to gather eggs and check for pests, and found a possum on the prowl, very near the nest box. :eek:
    While the possum (a fairly young one, but plenty of teeth) was blinded by the headlamp, I shot it with my LCP, but the noise was enough to induce panic in the guineas and chickens. I'd like to be able to kill the next varmint with spooking the birds so much. Any suggestions?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you dont have a supressor a 22 short or 22cb will get it done at very close range with headshots. Extremely low noise even in a pistol. Of course you will have to load each round singly by hand

Longer the barrel lower the the noise on those two rounds.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Might also try a subsonic 22 lr.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bolt action or lever action 22 rifle, and CCI CB Longs. They will feed decently, make about as much noise as striking an old time kitchen match. I use them for indoor target work. No ear plugs needed

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

As an alternative, maybe a Hav-a-Hart type of trap baited with some canned tuna or spoiled piece of meat. I've caught several possums/raccoons wandering around my barn this way. The advantage; you don't have to be there to catch him.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I have shot several "problem" raccoons w the 22 short, std velocity is quieter but getting hard to find. I use an old pump so shorts, longs, long rifle - no problem. W 23" barrel, hammer falling is louder than bullet. Do NOT use subsonic LR round - way too loud and still got too much range left in her.

Note: you will have to site-in the light rounds. Very accurate - short range

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The cb longs are a subsonic round and you can hear the pin hit them.

8. Bushman

Bushman Member

I'll add another nod for the CCI CB Longs. I shoot them in my Marlin 70 and it's the quietest 22 I've ever heard.
    You can hear the bullet smack into what your shooting.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I've got a brick of the Remington subsonic LR and it will ge the neighbors attention. Didnt live up to advertising. I'll try to buy a boxCB Longs, any particular brand besides CCI ? I'll try Walmart and see what's for sale.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

As far as i know cci is the only maker of cb longs. Other companies have a version but walmart doesnt sell them brands-at least not around here they dont.

11. 22tackdriver

22tackdriver New Member

Ive killed almost six possums with the remington cbee2's there good and really quiet and with a longer barrels there really quiet like a pellet gun

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Try are several Long, CB and Short's that have velocity in the 710fps or less range. Shooting them out of a older long barrel .22 bolt rifle will sound like an airrifle or less. From behind a shooter you mainly here the rifles action clicking not the bang so much. Quite enough for my wife to kill two ratcoons with 2 shots at 10 feet off our porch and one not realizeing what happen till it was also shot. Sounds is way more like a PUTT not a bang. between my wife and myself we killed around 15 ratcoons off our pourch get into the bird feeders. We used CCI .22long from a remington 511 bolt with a 25" barrel .Even our sleeping cats were not alarmed.

13. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

A Sling Shot and Ball Bearings and Practice. Ha ha...

Hell, shoot enough of the pests and the chickens will get used to it.

14. 22tackdriver

22tackdriver New Member

I believe we have the same rifle mate we should share pics of them

ForumRunner_20120109_123900.jpg
    Here's my remington scoremaster model 511 nick named " the squirrel master"

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What scope is that?

16. 22tackdriver

22tackdriver New Member

It's the centerpoint Adventure class 3-9x32 scope.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats what i thought. Do you want a set of turret caps for it? I happen to have a spare set

18. 22tackdriver

22tackdriver New Member

No I keep them off I just like the gold look but thanks for the offer

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ok and your welcome

20. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

complicating a simple idea

It'd take some shopping round, look for standard velocity ammo, stear clear of the high velocity ammo, even high velocity shorts will bark out a long gun.

CCI target seconds (CCI Standard Velocity, Item #0032)
    are a prime example of accurate std velocity ammo with a good heavy bullet, the variety store here sells them from time to time, they come 200 rounds in a bulk bullet box for a$9 (Alaska $) you will find it takes more Alaska Dollars to purchase a item than regular lower 48 $.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012