Quick Service from Ruger

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Shihan, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got my SR9 back from it Recall work. It was gone for only 6 days. Just got it back and now have an extra Magazine and a free SR9 ballcap. Very Impressive.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Gotta love them Rugers! [​IMG]

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They should be good at recall service given the number of models they recall...:D

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Harrumph!
    I had to send back my Old Army and 77/22. (Both new in the box and unfired.) Neither were recalls though. :mad:

They did replace the defective parts in a timely manner however. :)

I had to pay the return shipping on both guns though. :mad:

They never should have made it out of the factory originally.
    But I digress...... ;)

5. Westy

Westy New Member

Trigger recall? I have an SR9 for my carry piece and think it's a great gun.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Shot it at the range today and I prefer the old trigger. It was alot harder for my son to shoot. I just don't like those trigger safeties.

7. Win73

Win73 New Member

I am sorry but I just don't see any point to those trigger safeties. As soon as you stick your finger in the trigger guard, you no longer have a safety. If you don't have your finger in the trigger guard, the gun can't fire, safety or no. If some object intentionally or accidently gets stuck in the trigger guard and touches the trigger, you have no safety and the gun can fire.

My Ruger P89 and P97 neither one has a trigger safety. But just like the guns with trigger safeties, if the trigger is pulled the gun will fire. If the trigger is not pulled, the gun can not fire.

So what does the trigger safety buy you other than making the lawyers happy?

8. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

I think I had heard that they reason for the recall was to replace the triggers. I had heard that there was a problem with slam fireing with out the trigger safety??? Is that right? Could they even be related? Perhaps I missunderstood what they meant. Any way I have a post recall SR9 and absolutely love it. Only problem was stove piping, and that was because of limpwristing.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

The P89 and the P97 are hammer fired, in single action the trigger pull is heavy. The SR9 is a striker fired pistol and has the trigger of your P89 or P97 when the hammer is in a dual action position (pulled back). Hence the add of the safety trigger. I don't own a SR9 but do own other striker fired pistols and the safety trigger is a good add IMO. BTW I do own a few Ruger P series and know there triggers well.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I hope to receive the same service from CZ. Actually, I expect to.

Glad things worked out well and props to Ruger! :cool:

11. Win73

Win73 New Member

I am not trying to be confrontational. I still don't understand, how does the trigger safety make the gun less likely to fire? Whenever your finger or any object touches the trigger, the safety is off. Does the trigger safety make the trigger pull heavier? I really am trying to understand.

My P89 can not fire even if cocked and the safety is off unless the trigger is pullled. My P97 does not even have a safety (decocker only) but it cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled. How would adding a trigger safety to either one make them less likely to fire?

I understand that the Glock with its trigger safety had a problem with unintentional discharges. That's why the New York trigger was added. Don't they tell you to use a holster with a Glock that covers the trigger guard to help prevent unintentional discharges?

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Win73,

I doin't think you and WDB are saying anything different. No confrontation here. I believe most sidearm manufacturers will suggest a holser that covers the guard and trigger....heck, general common sense says so, imo.

13. WDB

WDB New Member

Best I can offer is the safety trigger on the M&P requires presure on the lower end on the trigger to fire. Yes if your finger is on the trigger appling pressure then ANY firearm will fire if it doesn't have a external safety, set in the safety on position. The safety trigger prevents the trigger being snaged in something and while not perfect expects certain conditions to be in place to fire the pistol.

I expect I'm missing your point unless it was to agree that a finger needs to be on the trigger for the firearm to work as intended.

14. WDB

WDB New Member

Well expressed Skull, I must be missing something.

15. Win73

Win73 New Member

If something snags the trigger and the safety is on the trigger, isn't the gun going to fire anyway? Again in that instance the trigger safety doesn't buy you any additional protection. I really am trying to come up with "something" that the trigger safety gives you that you wouldn't have without it.

I use my P97DC (with no safety) as an example. If the trigger is pulled, that gun will fire. If the trigger is not pulled, that gun will not fire. The Glock or any other gun with a trigger safety is exactly the same way. If the trigger is pulled, the gun will fire. If the trigger is not pulled, the gun will not fire. Can anyone tell me how the trigger safety makes it less likely that the trigger can be pulled?