Quick poll, how equipped are you RIGHT NOW?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by StainlessSteel215, Feb 28, 2013.

1. I have made ZERO preparations, consider me dead!

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. I've made SOME preparations like extra food & supplies

38 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. I've got enough food & supplies to last 2-3 months

22 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. I've got enough food & supplies to last 6 months

9 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. I'm ready to survive & thrive for at least a year!

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I know this might be beating a dead horse but I am a member who RARELY posts about prepping and want to gauge where some folks are in the process.

--hypothetical scenario--

If something were to happen to this country on a mass scale in ONE MONTH from now....would you be prepared enough to get by for 3-6 months? How prepared are you right now, and what would you do to improve on it in the next 30 days before the country went down the tubes?

I'm not a true prepper. I dont buy all the infowars/etc hype but I do think its possible for a double dip recession and lots of REAL struggles lying in front of us on the horizon. I mean we are just days from possibly laying off 10's of thousands of gov employees. This COULD lead to some serious crime issues nationwide, particularly the densely populated urban areas. Thats just my personal take on the current climate.

Me? I'm at about a 2 out of 5 right now, working towards a 3 by the end of the month. Hopefully reaching a 4 in the next 3-4 months. I'm not in a financial situation to go all out so I'm doing things piece by piece. I have about 30-40 days of food/water for my family, decent supply of ammo (Im not a fan of airing exact numbers on a public forum), some basic meds and medical kits, supplies and Yes, firearms.

My next step is doubling my food supplies, topping off ammo & basic sustenance supplies, packing up a REAL Bug bag and having a basic plan in place if phone communication was cut out. All the loose ends that could turn chaotic if I dont plan them out ahead of time.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Still working on it.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no stores of supplies, but I do have guns. I figure in an Armageddon situation, I will be able to acquire necessities from those who are better prepared than I.

Attached Files:

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've been through a couple of hurricanes.

I have my signs professionally printed on how I shoot if you loot.

5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm a solid 3 right now, and in all reality probably a 4. As for what I would do over the next month, well that would depend entirely on what's going to happen.

If our currency was going to collapse I would take every dime I have and buy material items such as hand tools and salt. Those things will continue to have value and would be needed.

If our entire civilization was going to collapse I would take every dime I have and again buy material things like hand tools and salt. I would also stock up on more food.

If I was going to loose my job next week due the economy, which I probably am, I would save every dime I have to make sure I didn't have any stress until I found another job. Fortunately, I have saved pretty well and I'm not feeling any stress right now.

If I was going to lose my job and knew that I wouldn't be able to find another one because the economy was going to crash but our infrastructure remained intact, I would continue on as normal because that's what I've always prepared for.

One thing I would like to do this month regardless of what is going to happen is get more fruit trees in the ground. In particular, I've been learning about apples and cherries. I never realized how little I knew about them. Learning about apple trees in particular has really been interesting. :)

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I could live for 2-3 months without changing my lifestyle at all. If I decided to ration I could probably last a year. But I have a big freezer full of food. I have a generator. But only enough gas to fun for about 2 weeks if I run it for 10 minutes every hour. That is all it takes to keep a refrigerator or freezer operating if you keep the door closed. I have just been offered a 45 watt solar panel set up for free. I plan on setting it up for my camper in a portable fashion.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm a good solid "1", almost a two. I have enough to hopefully get myself and my son to my BOL, possibly even on foot, and that is all.

I did buy a new BOB a few days ago. An old Alice pack I found for 30 bucks without frame. I don't care what anyone says, I used the mountain rucks in Afhanistan (just a bigger version of the Alice), and I have the utmost respect for it.
    This one will be my son's. I'll be packing it light enough for him to carry. I'm going to save up a few more pennies and get a mountain ruck for myself with a frame, then start reorganizing my old BOBs into the new ones.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I just realized a few hours ago that someone stole my backpack out of my Blazer. That really pisses me off. It wasn't a real BOB. It was just a cheap back pack with on old coat, a winter hat and gloves as well as a bottle of water. I just had it because my Blaser is 31 years old. It runs great. But I like to be prepared in case I were to break down in the winter. I guess I will have to start locking the doors. I am I more upset about someone getting into my truck than the loss of the pack. I thought this belongs in this thread as a reminder to check on your preps now and then. We may not be as ready as we think we are.

9. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Good call Rick, sorry that happened. Thanks guys who participated...looks as though most of us are on the same level 2/3 boat right now. Thats good to hear. The worst that can happen if NOTHING drastic happens is that you are stocked up good. The best that can happen, is you out-live many folks who didnt prepare in advance.

Happy travels ladies & gents

10. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

[/QUOTE]
    One thing I would like to do this month regardless of what is going to happen is get more fruit trees in the ground. In particular, I've been learning about apples and cherries. I never realized how little I knew about them. Learning about apple trees in particular has really been interesting. :)[/QUOTE]

Look into "Splicing Trees." Pretty interesting concept I happened upon a couple months ago. It allows you to grow multiple variations of fruit on a single tree. As an example you can grow red and green apples as well as certain breeds of pears on one base apple tree. Same with Citrus trees. Orange, lemon and lime. Etc. super simple too. Nothing more than cutting and using rooting solution and basic Splints to have them grow into one another. This is generalized. There are specific rules to it though. Certain trees won't sustain certain fruits etc.

11. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

I'm definitely a 2 and I don't think you EVER get to a 5. There's always something you could be building up. I've got some food and some water squared away. Garden's up and running. Been looking into more homestead type projects. Rain catchers, chicken coop etc.

And seeing as how this is FTF you know I've got the sticks that go bang! ;-)

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I live in SE Florida and stay prepared in the event of a hurricane or if the SHTF. In both cases guns and ammo are as necessary as food and water.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

You have no power, no indoor plumbing, no heat, no lights, no access to grocery stores, no access to gasoline?

14. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

this is why america is doomed in the upcoming crisis because people are completly evil and will take whatever everyone else has it will make the great depression look like a walk in the park where people then actuly helped echother good luke this country is doomed people need to learn to rely on themeselves not on everyone else and the government get off your A~~ and do it URSELF!

15. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As such is ALWAYS the case.........YUE WOULD NOT BELIEVE ME ANY-HOO..:D

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Me? Preparations?

Well, we have 2 cans of beanie-wienies left over from a fishing trip 3 years ago. No can opener, tho. And Joe Biden said we don't need guns, so we got rid of those. I'm sure in an emergency, the government would be there to take care of us.

BTW, if you would like to drop by for a visit, glad to see you. Stop at the sign. Ring the bell, then walk on up the trail to the house. Be sure to STAY on the trail. We lost the last 2 UPS guys, and they will not send any more out.

BTW, a bit pricey, but fun reading- https://www.lehmans.com/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

In my part of the country, your life expectancy would be measured in hours. You might successfully loot one place. But you'll die at the next one.

18. dango

Well , ain't that a funny thing..! The power went out yesterday do to an ice storm. My truck ain't going nowhere cause it is solid ice out there.Cooking is on my propane three burner Coleman stove with oven. Sour dough bakin right now and it's a recipe I got here on this forum I think..? Save the water from boiled potatoes + starter , Mmmmm..! :)
    Everything I don't want to freeze , is in my two large IGLOO Coolers with a change of warm water every 6 hours. For heat , I got three fire places and had to do this exact thing 1 month ago , 8 days. Just a way of life up here in the forest , falling trees etc. !

I pay close attention to weather trends + I have all my own little GIZMOS.!
    My little Generator is running via , Here I am........! :D

We understand the indifference's of good ole Mother Nature and you better to live here..!!

GOOD LUCK ALL.........! :D

19. dango

Latest Up-Date: Well , still no juice , "electricity". ! To manage consumption , I've resorted to my ole faithful hand pump.
    I've a deep well water system , but won't flip the breaker to the pump. That hand pump pumps about 4.something per gallons a minute , which then flows into my basement. Tired from carrying water and fire wood , but all is well..!

That bread we made last night , Awesome...........! :D

20. dango

Oooooooooooooops , Stupid , forgot to bleed hose..! It will freeze , back at you in 5..! :eek: