Quick help please!!!! Brake or flash hider?!?!?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hockeyjr1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ok so I need to change the flash hider that is coming on the DDM4V5 coming to my house today... I bought one on eBay and it's a AIM SPORTS AR15/M16 MUZZLE BREAK SHORT....

Now... This is precisely what just came to my house... But it looks like this....

To me it seams like its more of a flash hider than a muzzle brake... This is since there are 4 slots on it.. One on each side an the 2 on the top are ever so slightly angled away from the center of the brake...

I need to send this gun out ASAP to get pinned and welded but don't want to do it with the wrong part..

What do u guys think?

Also the packaging says this... (See pic)

Neither the seller said it was a flash hider nor did aim sports say it was when I just called them..

3 pic is top down view btw...

Attached Files:

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Don't purchase gun parts off of ebay. That's nothing more than an A2 variant.

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

4. X-mark

X-mark New Member

Get yourself a BattleComp

5. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I wish gun stores around here would carry this type of part... No one does cuz they all think getting a gunsmith to pin and weld it on is still a no no...

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

It doesn't really do anything to reduce recoil.

It does reduce flash.

It does compensate a bit for muzzle rise. May even overcompensate and push the muzzle down.

Added bonus, it won't kick up dust when you put the rifle on the ground and shoot prone.

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Not for 150 bucks I won't!!! Lol

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you are looking for a brake on a budget look at the DPMS Miculek, just make sure the caliber is correct for you gun, and the threading too. Also ar15performance.com has a few options too for less expensive brakes.

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Have you used one?

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Don't knock the Battlecomp, its a great device that does a good job a flash supression, recoil reduction, and muzzle rise compensation and isn't blasty (noisy) like most brakes. It's a good compromise between those 4 attributes.

11. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

No just don't have 150 bucks to spend on a brake...

I was looking at a RRA military brake... Found one for 35 bucks.. It the same one on the upper that I'm getting rid of and never had any problems with it.. What u guys think?

12. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

How much did you spent on the first one?

13. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

13 bucks....

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

My point is things add up. Don't forget the money it's going to cost to have it pinned. If you're anything like me you'll never be happy compromising. Next thing you know you'll be at Lowes buying a dremel tool and spending another $100 or so to get another device pinned. Cheaper in the long run by far. Wait and save if you have to.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

A muzzle brake on a 5.56 MM carbine is about as usefull as a diet crouton...In fact, it's downright useless and obnoxious.

The first AR I owned was a post ban Bushmaster M4 with a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" mini Y comp muzzle brake. It was so damn loud you could not fire it a the range without getting dirty looks and given the mild recoil of the 5.56 it's not even necessary.

We never saw brakes on AR's prior to the ban. The only reason they started adding them was because they looked tacti cooler than having nothing on the end of the barrel and builders could get away with it because they are not "flash suppresors".

The A2 birdcage variant you have is ALL you need.

Tack

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

NY doesn't allow you to have a flash hider am I correct?

17. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

It may be all he NEEDS but he cannot HAVE it due to the fact that he lives in New Yorkistan.

EDUB

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

How long is your barrel? Forgetting everything else about muzzle devices make sure whatever you have pinned is a legal length federally and NY-wise.

For $13 you got a standard A2 flash hider which works for many of us, but most of us don't need it pinned so it's easy to replace if necessary. Make sure what you do is legal in NY.

19. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Lol haven't heard that one before!!!