Quick BATFE Question concerning C&R rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by easterner123, Feb 18, 2011.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

:confused:Ok, I found a great deal on an SKS, and the site says they are russian surplus, and more than 50 years old. I want to buy them, but I would have to import the rifles, as the company is based in Canada. When I asked them for advice, they said that the paperwork would be done on my end, and couldn't really help that much.

I have no C&R FFL, but am 18 years old so my question is:

How hard is it to get a C&R FFL?

What are some obstacles that may face me for the importation part?

Who can I turn to for RELIABLE legal advice? Are the phonelines the ATF lists on their website actually helpful?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It is not difficult to get a C&R FFL. In your case, there is a waiting period of 3 years. Since you have to be 21 to get a FFL.

The other part of your dilemma- you are not an importer. A C&R does not permit you to import firearms. That is a whole 'nother set of problems. There ARE companies that do imports. Figure their charges are around $300-$500. plus shipping to a FFL in your home state. Then add HIS fee to doing the paperwork for transfer to you. $25-$100. So now you have about $650 tied up in an SKS- plus the purchase price. Still look like a good deal?

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You'll have about as much luck getting an SKS imported from Canada as a snowball will on a Texas sidewalk in August. Don't beat your head against this wall, it will just hurt.

4. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Man, it seemed like such a good deal too. Thanks for the early warning.