Firearms Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you're new to the AR15 game like me (only have about a month of experience) it can get pretty daunting with ALL the information available filled with technical terms that I was just confused by. I checked out forums, google search, and some books. I did stumble upon a decent blog section that kind of dumbed everything down for me. Pretty short and sweet blogs and, if you're inclined and in the market for upgrades, they have accessories and such to buy. I'll link to the first blog in hopes of helping someone that may be just like me looking for as much information as they can grab on to. If you check out the blog or anything else out, let me know what you think of it.
The AR-15 for beginners

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It's a blog for beginners. Period. There are other good semi-auto rifles that shoot the same caliber that some people prefer just like ice cream flavors. I am probably the only person in the world that has kept their AR stock. I like peep sights, shoot them good and it serves it's purpose for me. When I want better accuracy, I just shoot my other 5.56/.223. AR's shoot dirty and are a PIA to clean IMO. I bought mine because some people don't want me to have it. That's it, no other reason. FWIW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a blog for beginners. Period. There are other good semi-auto rifles that shoot the same caliber that some people prefer just like ice cream flavors. I am probably the only person in the world that has kept their AR stock. I like peep sights, shoot them good and it serves it's purpose for me. When I want better accuracy, I just shoot my other 5.56/.223. AR's shoot dirty and are a PIA to clean IMO. I bought mine because some people don't want me to have it. That's it, no other reason. FWIW.
I definitely agree that not everyone likes or needs to like an AR15. The fact that you haven't done anything to your AR and kept it stock is pretty cool because in a world where you can customize anything and people basically opt for that, you find it more fitting to leave it as is which is cool. I just posted the link to the blog to offer more information for those like me who don't know much, if anything, about AR's but want to learn more.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
All around its pretty hard to beat an AR.
It just has so much capability and due to its modularity can be adapted to many roles.

PS: So did u buy one yet? Prices have come down again and selection has improved.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome to an obsession. There is certainly a lot to learn, but don't let that dissuade you from putting together your first AR. Buy a stripped lower, get a lower build kit and then just buy whatever complete upper in the caliber you want and put it together.

There are tons of youtube videos that will show you step-by-step how to assemble the lower. It's not hard, just a little fiddly with the detent pins and springs.

Other than that, the basics of ballistics applies. If you want a rifle caliber, get a rifle length barrel, if you want pistol length, get an appropriate pistol length caliber. Yeah, some will tell you to build a 7" 5.56, but from a ballistics standpoint, it makes no sense other than to be stupid loud and blasty, but it's their money, they can do it if they want.

Caliber choice really comes down to what you want/expect from the round and of course, cost. A newer caliber out right now is the 6mm ARC. Good for 1000+ yards, but expensive, hard to find and best left for reloaders. 6.5 Grendel, on the other hand, has been around a while, has lots of ammo options and isn't as bad on cost, and it too is good to 1000 yards. Or, just stick to the standard old 5.56. You can't go wrong.

The cool thing is, once you get your first one if you want to go to a different caliber, you don't have to build an entire new rifle, just get an upper and you can change them out on the lower you already have by popping out two pins, stick the other upper on and off you go. It's not called the "Lego" rifle for nothing :)

Check out Palmetto State Armory or Bear Creek Arsenal. Their uppers are inexpensive and serviceable and many include the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Palmetto sells lower build kits that include everything you need to build the lower, including the buffer tube and stock. See if a local gunshop sells stripped lowers (that'll save you the FFL transfer fees and time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts