Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by amansman, May 23, 2007.

1. amansman

amansman New Member

Okay, just so I understand, a 150 or 170 gr. is the weight of the actual bullet and a starting grain of somthing like 24.5 is the amount of gun powder you put in the case?

Also, can the 32-20 WCF be fired from the 32-20 colt revolver? I was using the round that said 32-20 on the bag but it didn't say anything about WCF, so I didn't know if I could use the 32-20 WCF on the 32-20 Colt.
  2. john1911

john1911 New Member

Yes, 150 or 170 grains would be the weight of the bullet. A starting grain weight would be the amount of the specific powder. That's the point where you start. The manual will also list a maximum charge. That's the upper limit for that bullet weight and specific powder. Don't go over that weight!

Here's some info I happen to have on my desk:
    .41 Rem Mag
    210 grain Hornady XTP ( this is the bullet weight, brand and type)
    H110 (the brand of powder)
    Starting load= 19.8 grains (this is where you start with H110 powder and hornady XTP bullets0
    Maximum load=22 grains (this is the max load with this bullet powder combo)
    All the above is from the Hodgdon Powder website.

Yes, same thing.

3. Splatter

Splatter New Member

Welcome to the world of Cartridge Naming Conventions.

The only rule you really need to remember is this one:

There are no rules, and not much logic either.

It's sort of like languages that use ideograms, if you come across a new symbol there is no dictionary you can use, there is no way you can phonetically 'puzzle-out' the idea or name, someone has to tell you the meaning and pronouciation.

It's the same with cartridges.

I could go on at considerable length; but I won't, not yet anyway ;)
  4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.32-20 is the same as .32-20 WCF. WCF stands for Winchester Center fire. WCF was used in the OLD days to differentiate between center fire and rimfire weapons. Even though there was never a .32-20 rimfire, Winchester used the WCF as a proprietary name and selling point. The .30-30 is also called the .30 WCF

Here are some other examples:
    .22 WMR- .22 Winchester magnum rimfire
    .30 Gov't- .30-40 Krag
    .45 Gov't- .45-70
    9mm para- Luger- 9x19 etc
    .380 ACP- 9mm k, kurz, short, 9 x 17

The list goes on and on.