questions on ffl transfer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Kdub, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I'm looking to buy a gun on the internet. First time. I understand it has to be shipped to a ffl holder. Can someone run me through the process? I order online and pay cost for gun and shipping. Give them ffl info or does the company contact them? How do I keep from getting screwed say the ffl says, "oh I never got a gun from them" or some crazy other crap?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Prior to purchase, discuss the transfer with the local dealer. Most charge a transfer fee of $25 or so. If the dealer agrees to accept the fireararm on your behalf and perform the transfer, there is nothing to fear. No legitimate dealer would risk his license and business to steal your one gun. I have purchased many firearms from online vendors and NEVER had any issues.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with McCool. set up the transfer to an FFL before actually buying. gon the gun auction sites and do an FFL dealer seach that does transfers of online firearms sales. then go by and discuss it with them and see what they are charging. IMO, anything past about $30 is too high. my LGS charges $20 for an FFL transfer.

4. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I found a local guy who will do it for 10 with a cc. Next question is will the online company demand you use a particular ffl or can it be anyone?

5. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Looks like this guy is already on his ffl list so I guess my last question is not relevant. Thanks for the advice

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dub- what the folks have said up there^^^

If you do not already have a FFL, go to Gunbroker, and use their "Find a FFL" feature. Talk to that FFL. When you win an auction, I take an envelope (addressed and stamped) to that FFL. In it is a copy of my winning auction, payment, and a note to the seller.

Give a COPY to your ffl, so when the gun shows up, he knows who it goes to. Your FFL puts a copy of his license in the envelope, seals it, mails it.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The BATF loosened up and allows faxes or PDF files of signed FFLs.

Almost all of the transfers I do are internet sales.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep- that is correct- your receiving FFL CAN fax or Email their info to the shipping FFL.

However, my FFL still uses a coal fired forge. He HAS a fax machine, buried over there under barrel blanks. He thinks he got an email. Once. So I give him the envelope, and he puts a paper copy of his FFL in there.

The man is a pothole on the information superhighway- but a hell of a gunsmith! :p

9. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Fax machines are so 1985. I have all other dealers email me their FFL and I email them mine for transfers. Heck, I've even done transfers at gun shows with other dealers with the PDF version of my FFL on my phone. I can show it to them at the gun show and then email it to them right there from my phone. Technology rocks!!!

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To succeed, one must be flexible.

I keep envelopes and snail mail stamps for FFL holders like C3's.

11. racer1

racer1 New Member Supporter

My ffl has his license posted on his website to download or forward. Doesn't want to be bothered with a call before a transfer. Just your name and number on the outside of the box. He said he dose hundreds of transfers a week
    Dave

12. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

It's very easy.I bought my first firearm over the internet last spring and was also confused at first and everything worked out great.Pay for the gun,gun gets shipped to your FFL,pay the transfer fee and any other fees,do background check,pass,walk out with your new gun.:) piece o cake