Questions on AR-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PrimePorkchop, Dec 1, 2011.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

/facepalm

im going to feel like such a doofus asking these questions, but Google searches are only trying to sell me guns or tell me the difference between 5.56 and .223...they're not answering my actual question =)

I'm going to be getting my very first AR-15 soon and, while I appreciate the suggestions, I won't be building my own...I just don't know enough about it at this time. :eek:

So i've been looking at some brands that i've heard of before (Bushmaster, Colt, etc) and i've come across a few questions.

First off, I see a gigantic range in prices going from ~$700 to ~$2,000 and, based on picture and general understanding of description, im not seeing much difference.

Example:

Bushmaster CAR15

vs

Bushmaster 16FMC

One is twice as much as the other and, from what I can see, it's really a difference cosmetically (thats just my take...again, this is my first one, feel like a total dumb ass for asking) :cool:

Now, I know this is going to vary a lot depending on personal taste and preference, but can anyone provide any insight on a good solid AR-15 that I won't be disappointed with later on down the road?

It'll be mainly used at the gun range me & my buddy built...but it also needs to be better than the one my friend has, and it's a Rock River LE1040 =)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

2. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

The first one is just a bare bones stock parts ie hand guards no sights. The second one has a free floated quad rail with rubber covers + - $350, flip up back up sights +- $200, ergonomic grip +- $50 all of that you are adding at least $500 - 600 to that base gun. Its all about accessories.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you want to buy a finished rifle and a basic but good quality is it then buy a palmeto state arm or s&w m&p15 sport. Both can be bought under 600 dollars andboth have great factory support. IF highly accurate is what you want then get the RRA varment with a 20 or 24" barrel. They will shoot under 1/2" with federal match ammo. And a good scope ofcourse, Was RRA canalever scope mount too. Good mount and good price.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

porkchop, you will see many suggestions on what to buy and why. i own the Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine, M4A2 and am very pleased with it so far. are there better AR's than the Bushmaster? probably. depends on what your primary use will be. casual target shooter on a limited budget, no need to spend $2000 plus on one. if used everyday, your life or others depend on it to function each and everytime, buy the best one available. there are some decent AR's that would probably suit your needs, such as Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Del-Ton, Stag, Daniel Defence, Colt, ect. ect. everyone who owns, shoots or has built an AR, will have their preference. the biggest difference in the two rifles you posted about, options make a big difference in price. people who build an AR, could probably build the $1366 for about 2/3 of that price and still have a very nice rifle to boot. my suggestion, buy a basic AR to start with, and you can get some great deals on even a new one, learn how it operates, learn how to strip it down to clean and maintain it, and learn what you would want different. because a lot of times it is cheaper to build what you want, than to modify one into what you want. these are just my opinions and suggestions.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

When comparing ARs look at what they are made w/ like bolt or barrel steel. Look for things like the barrel twist. Don't be fooled by stocks, handguards, or in most cases what your local gun store is trying to push on you.

I'm going to be blunt and to the point.

You mentioned not wanting to be disappointed down the road, well Bushmaster will leave you disappointed down the road. Don't fall for the "as good as" argument you'll see.

There's no need to spend $2k on an AR either. Thats a figure guys like to use when people start pointing out the short comings of certain AR manufacturers. You can get a Colt for under $1k and have everything you'll ever need minus red dot sight.

Spikes would be a lower priced alternative. It's a mil-spec rifle made of all the proper materials and assembled correctly.

Palmetto State Armory has been receiving a lot of good press and they can be had for around $600 - $700. These are also mil-spec.

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

mj posted a lot of good info. As mj said, I would stay away from Bushmasters. Of all the people I know who have AR-15s, only two of them have repeated problems with their rifles jamming, and both of those rifles are Bushmasters.

This question was brought up just a couple days ago. Here was my response in the other thread:

Here's the link to the other thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-pricing-52739/

I actually bought a Spike's ST-15 Carbine about a month ago. I paid about $890 out the door, which is less than my buddies paid for their Bushmasters, and there is no doubt about it that when we compare our rifles, mine is the much nicer one.

-Fred

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MJKEAT, just want to say i respect your opinion and you seem to be very knowledgeable on the AR platform. i own a Bushmaster M4A2 carbine, my question is what would give you the impression that i will be disappointed in the long run with it? i have shot over 1200 rounds through it with not a single ftf or fte so far. i would like to hear your reasonsfo the way you feel about the Bushmaster's. i am realistic enough to know there are better ones than the one i have, but i am not a competition shooter or in LE in any way, so mine is for more casual target shooting and fun.

8. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I'm sure it's not as tough of a choice as im making it out to be...i just know myself and i don't want to regret my purchase 12 months down the road...

Right now im really liking one of the S&W M&P15 like this one
    SWL M&P15T 811041 5.56 16 AS BLK 30 $910.00 SHIPS FREE

which i think looks awesome!

But here's where my noob'ness comes into play

This is a "M&P15" ... is that the same thing as an "AR15"? Or is it different?

Also, would this one be fully customizable? So if further down the road I found a different barrel that I liked, or if i bought some optics/light/other random accessories

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

in this case yes, its just a different company making a different model name. like dodge durango and ford explorer both are suv's but different company.

also no one has mentioned STAG, or DPMS which offer reasonably priced ar's. i bought my stag for 900 out the door and am very pleased with it. it has a lifetime warrenty and i never have any jamming problems that were the rifles fault. it jamsmed ONCE because of a faulty magazine. personnally i think stag,rock river arms, dpms, spikes, and palmetto state would be your best choices

10. russ

russ New Member

I see nothing wrong with the M&P you posted the link to. It is fully compatible with any AR15 upgrades you might want to make later on. And it should be fairly even on quality with your buddy's RRA.

I agree with everything mj said and also wouldn't recommend Bushmaster, and I own one. By far the most problematic of my AR's. Numerous FTF and FTE issues. Of the two bushies you posted, I'm pretty sure the cheap one is a Carbon 15, which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I like Spike's Tactical and Palmetto State does seem to have a good reputation so far.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You seem to be pleased w/ your BM and that's all that really matters.

The thing is BMs are known to have issues. Use this thread as an example. We are but a small sample yet there are guys here who have experienced issues w/ BM. Imagine what the big picture must look like.

BMs are a mass produced rifle by a profit driven conglomerate willing to cut corners to fill pockets.

We really don't want someone new to the platform to have problems. This would turn them off to the AR.

12. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

I just bought a Rock River Arms LAR-8 Standard Operator, It's not what I thought I wanted, but I wouldn't have another now. The fit of the upper and lower is tighter than my buddies DPMS, It is Infinitely able to be customized, and I can build the hell out of it as time and money permit. I bought a scope for it today. Next will be a Rock Creek Barrel with a "JP" Howitzer brake on it. A lot of people don't like how I'm building it... But, there's a plan... Here's a pic. with the new Redfield scope on it, not huge, just 3 to 9. it looks good though.

Attached Files:

13. jerzyfresh

jerzyfresh New Member

Don't forget LMT .. LMT and Colt are the only 2 with military contracts even the low end LMT stuff is top notch

14. jerzyfresh

jerzyfresh New Member

Whoops I see that they where talked about already ,

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

No worries. It never hurts to re-mention something. A lot of times things aren't seen the first time.

-Fred

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Many of us walk a fine tightrope here, you hate to criticize a particular gun or manufacturer because that can stir up a hornet's nest but the truth is some ARs are better than others. A regular Bushmaster, not the cheap Carbon 15 in the OP, usually costs more than many better brands like Spikes and PSA and almost as much as top notch brands like BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense. For light use the BM will do fine but if you start asking more of it, odds are you will be disappointed - if for no other reason than finding out you could have gotten better quality for the same money.

When someone new asks "what should I buy" you are torn between pointing out differences and kicking the hornets or letting someone buy something that they may be disappointed in later when they finally do the research they should have done before buying. That's why it's a tightrope - you don't always react the same way to the same question. Some new people just want something quick while others show real interest in doing it right. Anyway, we're all trying to help, and it's all free advice so it's important for anyone buying to pick and choose information that makes sense to them.

17. SWBMOAMP2691

SWBMOAMP2691 New Member

Hey, I was in the same boat about a year ago when I wanted to pick up my own. I settled on the SW MP15 OR for 750.00 at the time. To tell you the truth I havent seen one on the shelves since. But I did a bit of research and overall it's a decent standard platform that I've tweaked and upgraded to my liking. When it comes to your first AR don't be afraid to go to gun stores and ask the employees, most of the time they won't jerk you around and force you into a bad buy. Just be vigilant, know what you want and stick with it. To tell you the truth I've probably spent more upgrading my AR with better performing parts (I.e. Trigger, bolt carrier, external accessories) than I spent on the rifle itself. That's just the truth but to start off my personal opinion is to purchase an affordable bare bones standard AR and customize it with things you can use. The brands are numerous for quality AR's and I'm sure they have all been named already. My advice to you is learn as much as you can about them and try to get a Military TM or technical manual on the M4/M16 weapons system. Then shop around and don't get foggy minded with the latest and greatest because it might not be right for your application. Good luck and stay safe.

18. jerzyfresh

jerzyfresh New Member

I learned a lot by watching friends make bad buys, no doubt that what the ended up with are great riffles after replacing parts they later realized where junk with after market better parts , But they could have saved a lot of money by spending a little bit more money at purchase time .. The problem is to the average person a $600 AR looks like a $2700 AR the price change is there for a reason .. Like buying a 6 cyl mustang insted of the v8 cause it looks cool , they both get you to work but the v8 is a lot more fun and built to handle the extra power .. Sorry I'm a gun/car guy haha

19. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I have an older Bushmaster and it's as reliable as a rock and very accurate. I understand the ones made in the last 2 years or so are not and their customer service has been getting bad reviews on some forums so buyer beware. A buddy of mine just got a Stag for $900 and so far it's a great rifle.
    I'm not sure of any real difference between 5.56 NATO and 223. I've fired both out of my AR and haven't noticed any difference.

20. jerzyfresh

jerzyfresh New Member

The 55.6 guns can shoot 223 but the 223 guns run a risk firing 55.6