Firearms Talk banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pr

My guess is because people eat it all driving the price up.

Feral hogs, sheep, goats and horses could all contribute to the dog food supply and lower the costs to consumers some maybe. There are some dog foods flavored with bacon speaking of pork.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Why isn’t there pork fog food?
when I was a kid we were taught to not feed the dog chicken scraps, because a neighbor raised chickens. the dog would smell the chickens, bypass the humans and get shot while going to the source. that might explain the no pork thing.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I'm sure there is plenty of pork in dog food. Nobody emphasizes it because it doesn't sound cool like beef or lamb.
A friend of mine worked at a pork plant, he said anything that couldn't walk off the truck was dumped whole down a huge grinder for dog food.I
And whattaya bet the "lamb" in that dog food is 15 yr old barren ewes?

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I'm sure there is plenty of pork in dog food. Nobody emphasizes it because it doesn't sound cool like beef or lamb.
A friend of mine worked at a pork plant, he said anything that couldn't walk off the truck was dumped whole down a huge grinder for dog food.I
And whattaya bet the "lamb" in that dog food is 15 yr old barren ewes?
Any sheep meat they call lamb

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
A lot of dog tucker here in Australia is a mix of lamb/sheep, cattle and Kangaroo bits left over from the meat works.
Kangaroos are generally used as pet food although they're also used for human consumption as well so any thing left over is thrown into dog tucker.

Dog biscuits/kibble is generally wheat based with meat puree sprayed over it and cooked.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
A lot of dog tucker here in Australia is a mix of lamb/sheep, cattle and Kangaroo bits left over from the meat works.
Kangaroos are generally used as pet food although they're also used for human consumption as well so any thing left over is thrown into dog tucker.

Dog biscuits/kibble is generally wheat based with meat puree sprayed over it and cooked.
How does roo taste?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How does roo taste?
It's a very dry/lean meat so you need something with it to add the moisture and it's a meat you basically don't go to hard at cooking it.
I wasn't overly impressed with it as it tasted a bit gamey to me but there's a market for it so there are those who like it.
Then there are the eternally offended who think that eating the national icon is a disgrace but then they know nothing of the Kangaroo's breeding ability in good times and the effect a mob of 'roo's can have on a wheat crop either.

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
we made our own dog food. Started with the boy that was getting old and had a lot of joint issues. He lived to 15. The girl had sensitive stomach, she lived to 16. New dog didn't like it, which boggles my mind.

We picked up lamb and pigs at the 4H auction every year. We kept the lamb chops and had the rest of the lamb ground up. The dog food was a combination of ground turkey, ground pig, and ground lamb along with some other stuff. Lamb at the 4H auction was incredibly cheap. Hogs, we got them as cheap as $0.75/lb. Added rice, eggs and supplements and pressure canned the food.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
we made our own dog food. Started with the boy that was getting old and had a lot of joint issues. He lived to 15. The girl had sensitive stomach, she lived to 16. New dog didn't like it, which boggles my mind.

We picked up lamb and pigs at the 4H auction every year. We kept the lamb chops and had the rest of the lamb ground up. The dog food was a combination of ground turkey, ground pig, and ground lamb along with some other stuff. Lamb at the 4H auction was incredibly cheap. Hogs, we got them as cheap as $0.75/lb. Added rice, eggs and supplements and pressure canned the food.
Can’t believe you’d give the lamb to the dogs- they can’t appreciate it like we can!!!

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
There were some pretty good dust ups in these parts over land/water involving sheep and cattle.

Sheep's wool and angora wool are still important facets of the ranch economy here.

Things finally shook out and leveled off with the Spindle Top oil field. Oil and gas royalty checks will provide income for your pooch to eat prime rib three times a day.

Seriously, my thoughts run along the lines of dog/pet food is a byproduct of human food production. I don't believe that a business model with pet food as initial product would be viable. I'm not sure that you could get away with feeding humans the byproduct of pet food production...excluded baloney and hot dogs of course.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
If you're a Subaru driver could you look yourself in the mirror to shave if you hunted ferrel hogs for a living?

Instead of electric car charging stations on every corner I'd like to see bounty redemption centers for hog carcasses.

We can now hunt them from helicopters.

So my idea involves putting peaceful protesters to work hog hunting.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts