questions about opening gun range

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by coyote11, Jun 27, 2013.

1. coyote11

coyote11 New Member

Good afternoon, ive got a question maybe someone can help me out. I live in south tx penitas to be exact i own 10 acres is it possible to open a little gun range??? Is it legal and if so wat are some of the proper procedures to do so,it would mostly be for pistol/ shot guns/ ar15/ak types any help greatly appreciated thankyou!

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

"Buy opening" a little range I'm guessing for profit...I'd start with Texas game and fish for any information they might have. Then I'd imagine if any county zoning issues need to be searched. EPA may have some say.....

For personal use, probably ok??????????

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

coyote,

And the other important issues before you go to a lot of trouble is what kind of an area do you have beyond where you plan on locating the back stop. (Safe Zone) Also the Range needs to lay North and South. This eliminates the sun effecting shooting in the morning and the evening. Laws and EPA considerations regarding lead leaching, runoff and reclamation of lead in the future! Things like that to consider and some research. And as mentioned State and Local Laws, permits, the close proximity of property owners, cost of insurance and etc.
    Good luck! Always wished I could own a public or firearms training range facility. Maybe if I win the Lottery! LOL! :D

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

There's some good advice here for outdoor ranges:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/range-building-advice-90597/

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Consult with your local County Engineer and TCEQ (Texas Commision on Environmental Quality)