Questions about fore grips

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DerHund15, Jul 2, 2011.

1. DerHund15

DerHund15 New Member

Does a foregrip actually help steady an AR while aiming? I probably sound like an idiot but whatever. Also, how much do they usually run? Are some better than others? Thanks.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

not in my opinion. a proper sling and correct usage is almost as good as using a solid rest. you would also need a free float tube as using a sling as a shooting aid will put a lot of pressure on the barrel otherwise.

a vertical grip will help hold the muzzle down during full auto fire but it does absolutely nothing for you in semi auto usage other than add weight and make mall ninjas jealous. its also a good place to store some jolly ranchers if its got a compartment...

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I disagree. Although I'm gradually removing the VFGs and AFGs from my firearms they do help. They help as an indexing point, support, and to hold the stock in your shoulder. You can also use them to transfer the weight into a mag pouch by hooking the VFG into a belt or chest mounted pouch. Even in semi auto. And for most theres nothing mall ninja about them. As far as weight a nice plastic or aluminum shorty VFG barely weighs anything. The pluses outweigh the added weight.

4. DerHund15

DerHund15 New Member

Alright thanks. I think I'll get one because I tried it and it feels more comfortable to me.

5. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

I personally don't care for them. I like my hand laying flat under the barrel/hand guards. I also agree a proper sling can provide plenty of support and is recommended by most. I like a Willis single point or my home-made ching. There are guys over here running all the gucci gear stuff. I don't see them use it much but it looks cool. Ultimately, if it helps you stabilize and you like it you should go with it.

6. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

For me, it does help, but I have problems with my shoulders and wrists and the grip angle with the VFG is much more comfortable, and secure, than without.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Some of us have been using a vertical foregrip on semi/ bolt guns for some years- Mossberg 152 and 142, from the early 1960s

mossberg 152.jpg

Actually helps in standing offhand a fair bit.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If I can make a suggestion, a stubby VFG used as a hand stop w/ a wrap around grip as apposed to a broom stick grip makes a huge difference.

9. Rhodesian

Rhodesian New Member

When I was first issued a fore grip, it felt odd, got in the way, added a tiny bit of extra weight and hurt my wrist.. I was required to keep it on, but I ended up never wanting to use it.. It is a shooters preference really, I prefer holding the mag well and part of the handguard/ Rail system as I can keep that very balanced..

10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Mine is ergo, not just the "broom stick," it makes a huge difference.

11. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have tried both and really and miking the Mag-pul angle fore grip. Its really comfortable to hold and has a low profile. Plus i think they look cool but thats just my s**ty opinion :p

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I like an AFG. I'm also used to having my hand flat on the stock of a rifle, but an AFG provides more stability when moving the rile laterally, an action that you will need to learn when becoming proficient with your rifle, especially in close-up situations.

FUN!!! :)

13. krauthen

krauthen New Member

ergo forend

Where can I see some these?

14. mjtx88

mjtx88 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1416961173.056375.jpg I liked the magpul AG2 fore grip, until I found the Lancotactical one. Much smaller and just as comfortable.