Questions about buying ammo online

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ruger22lr, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

So have some questions about buying ammo online.

I want to buy some .22lr and 20 gauge ammo online and was wondering how old I have to be to buy it online in Ohio. I'm 20 just so you know. I'm buying it online since my area has a horrible ammo selection.

2. ResidentialPyro

ResidentialPyro New Member

The law is 18 to buy rifle ammunition and 21 to buy hand gun calibers

3. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

I know it's 21 for handguns but people are telling me that .22lr is a handgun caliber just making sure I can buy .22lr online since I'm only 20

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dual purpose ammo, such as 22 LR, may be purchased at age 18, so long as the seller is comfortable with it being used in a long gun.

At age 19 I was buying .44 magnum ammo- for a Ruger carbine. But the seller know I had a carbine- since they sold it to me.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That law has been around that long ?
    Not a slight about your age c3, (this time) I'm just suprised.

6. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Alright then just making sure never to safe

7. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Here is the deal about buying ammo online. There usually is never any background check or follow up to confirm the age you put into the form when you buy. It's based on honesty. Now sometimes it will be shipped via ups with the need to be signed by an adult but I have noticed ups being VERY relaxed on this in the past few years. Probably because they are so busy. Just my story, I bought .22lr ammo, several bricks o it, online when I was 15 and had it shipped to my house. Signed for it too without an ID. Maybe that's just because I live in the country in a great state

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

What year was that :D

9. orangello

orangello New Member

If they ask, maybe you could send them a picture of you with your ID & rifle to put them at ease & grease the wheels of commerce.

10. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Ah good idea never thought of that.