question.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Zamzow, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I hear so many people say its a bad thing to dry fire a gun, but is it really that hard on the weapon.

Zamzow

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

According to Kimber's web site, thet say its okay to dry fire "their" weapons.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not if you use snap caps.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

What gun are you talking about?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They are cheap and great for function tests as well as cutting down on the abuse of dry firing.
    Whether the manual says its ok or not to dry fire. Why stress the gun when snap caps are available?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  7. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

Any gun in general really.

Zamzow

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If the question is "Can I dry fire any gun, in general" then the answer is "That all depends on the gun, in general".

It depends on the design of the gun. Rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver? Centerfire/ rimfire.

For instance- it is not a good idea to dryfire most .22 rimfires- firing pin can ding up the mouth of the chamber, resulting in fail to fire or fail to extract. However, Ruger autos are designed to be dry fired (hell, you have to dry fire it to disassemble it)

HOWEVER- as has been said- use a snap cap, and avoid the problem. In general.

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Dry fire, wet fire, just shoot the darn thing.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I use snap caps for my Ruger Revolver and my Sig P238. I believe it is okay to dry fire the Sig but I just am afraid to. I never really 'practice' with the Ruger Mark II unless it's at the range shooting at targets. LOL My revolver and the Sig are for home and self defense so I feel the need to practice with them. The Mark II is my 'fun gun'........and she is a whole lotta fun!!

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

On some guns it can cause breakage of the firing pin. It can damage the firing pin bushing. It can (eventually) let the firing pin bust thru to the chamber. It can peen the firing pin into the firing pin channel (making removal difficult to say the least). It can peen a big dent into the hammer. Every time you do it you run the risk of an accidental discharge. Or it can cause no damage of any kind and make you a better shooter.