Question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by D2h6r89, Jun 30, 2011.

1. D2h6r89

D2h6r89 New Member

Hey, I'm not sure which section to put this in, so I picked this one.

I realize this is a n00b question, but I did a search on google and didn't really yield any results.

I recently purchased a fire arm, and I was wondering if it is illegal just to find a nice quiet place in the woods and just fire it off at trees and such. I dont wanna do anything illegal, but I just wanna test it out w/o necessarily paying range fees.

I live in PA and if anyone from the state can help me out with some info that would be super

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A very general question, so I will have to give you a very general answer-

As in who are you, and what are you doing on my land shooting up my trees?

Seriously- the land belongs TO someone. Find out who, and ask for their permission to shoot on their property. Otherwise, NO, what you are doing is NOT legal- it is called Trespassing.

FWIW, I have over a thousand acres of farmland where I can shoot- mainly groundhogs, which as a major pest to farmers. I went out, knocked on doors, introduced self, asked permission to shoot there. You WILL get a number of "Hell NO" answers. You will also find folks that are willing to say yes because you asked.

Spend some time on Google Earth doing some map recon of the areas you are considering, ask your State Rifle Association for some guidance, and maybe the state Game Commission folks. By the way- what part of PA?

Please remember that rifle bullets can travel MILES, and even a 9mm pistol can drive a bullet over 900 meters. Know your target, and what is BEYOND your target.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

C3, you hit the ball so hard on nearly every pitch. I am agog in awe. If only I didn't hear all your wisdom voiced by Strother Martin.:rolleyes:

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

All that wisdom and a damn near encyclopedic knowledge of every gun ever made...Strother Martin visuals and all...

5. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

+1 to C3, and if you have any national or state forest area nearby, ask your local ranger. They've been very friendly and helpful in my experience.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Another suggestion would be to arrange a "shooting" vacation (like attending an FTF Meet-N-Greet).

Or attend a pistol course out of state (maybe even in state).

So many doors will open........

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Isn't it SHOCK & AWE....