Question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WiddlyScuds, Apr 23, 2011.

1. WiddlyScuds

WiddlyScuds New Member

So i had this question and i wanted to see what the gun-nuts thought...

So do any of you think it's unprofessional or silly to like a rifle for it's look more than the spec's of it?

I guess the specs would only be important if it where for a specific purpose such as hunting though.

2. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Gun nuts? Where? I don't see any gun nuts. :confused: But, no it is perfectly acceptable to purchase a firearm for looks alone. Hell, Commiforia bans them on looks alone. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the community!

You’ll find plenty of firearms knowledge on here, as well as meet plenty of fun loving, people with common sense. But, you should probably stop by the introductions area to say hello before you catch hell for not properly introducing yourself.

Be sure to stop by HERE too.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is why just about every company in the business has a special buttstock to fit an AR-15. Nobody wants a plain one. People will take a perfectly good Ruger 10/22 that they spent $250 on, and change the stock as soon as they get home.

Now, I would never buy a piece of crap just because it looked cool.

4. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

There's nothing at all wrong with it, just look how many people buy a car based purely on looks :rolleyes:

Well designed form can take the place of function anyway, anyone seen the Mazda Furai? :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I base my purchasing decision on a couple of different factors,

but a nice looking design is a major issue for me.

That's why I don't own Glocks, or anything that looks like one.

Is the gun primarily for target shooting?

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I'll chime here again to say that while I don't really buy guns for looks, I have NOT bought guns because of looks. For example (not trying to start a war just using an example) I'm told that Glocks are great guns, they have a HUGE following, and while I don't prefer plastic guns, I do own some plastic guns.

However, I won't bother buying a Glock because I think they are IMHO big, ugly, boxy guns.

I think a bigger criteria for buying a gun for me is simply if I have one or not. If I don't have a AR that means I NEED one, if I don't have a 1911 that means I NEED one, if I don't have a Glock I'll pass because the looks just don't call to me like other guns do.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

.....the perfect answer!

8. Wambli

Wambli Member

I need both, function and easthetics. I won't buy a gun that I consider ugly. I have a Glock 21 in my safe and I take it to the range every once in a while. It is a heck of a gun but it is a long term baby sitting job. I won't buy one. Funny cause I own a few HKs and everyone says THOSE are ugly.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I am insulted. I am not a gun nut. I am a firearms aficionado.

I'm just crazy about guns, that's all. ;)

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A looooooong time ago I was in a gun shop when a man was taking delivery of a very fancy and very expensive Weatherby rifle. He asked the clerk if it was his now. When the clerk said yes he pulled out his keys and gouged the stock.:eek: He turned to the horrified clerk and said now I can go hunting with it.:D
    I find that the fancier the gun the less I want to take it out and abuse it. My CZ527 has a very nice maple stock.

11. jayguy

jayguy New Member

same goes for me;)

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

We gun nuts have a name for people that buy guns based on looks alone...Mall Ninja.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Personally, I will take function over form every time. But I appreciate beautiful guns.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Non disputandum gustibus

That either means no accounting for tastes, or Gus did not catch the bus.

Why do you think gun makers spent money poishing and bluing guns, finding pretty grain walnut, jeweling bolts, etc? The Remington Nylon 66 was just another 22 auto rifle- the looks were SO cool.

You could get a plain jane .308 with a black plastic stock, and flat black paint, or this:

remington 600 011.jpg

The firearm still needs to do what you need it to do, but looks count. Consider the Luger pistol, and the attraction it has had for years. The Colt SAA, versus an Iver Johnson.