Question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Nihilist88, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

Hey all, I am about to buy an AK-47 through a friend of the family. My question is: On the side of the firearm it says 7.62x39, but the only ammo that has shot through it is 5.45x39. I am curious, do you think this would of hurt any of the action group or warped the barrel or anything? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

WTH??? That the rifle even functions with the wrong ammo is amazing. Has to be about as accurate as throwing a rock. WHY in the name of the Wide World of Sports is he shooting the wrong ammo?

Has it damaged the rifle? I can't tell- you are not holding it close enough to the computer for me to tell. It is not GOOD for the rifle to do that. It may be untouched, but I would get a smith to check it over before I monied up.

Also, go by the hardware store, buy an 18 inch crescent wrench. If you friend does that again, whack him behind the right ear with the wrench.

3. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I'll see your WTH, and raise you an F! Wouldn't someone think, when loading the mag. something didn't look right? Can you even put an AK.74 mag. in an AK.47? :confused:

4. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

I thought the same thing about it. It was all weird. Like the mag went in nice everything seemed smooth. I am thinking that was the first time it had been fired. Next time I go to see the rifle I will disassemble it and look at all of the vital parts. I tried to educate him on it but he said that is what came with it when he had bought it. Also, what I am thinking is that maybe it is an AK 47 mag just holding the 5.45. But then again the 5.45 are so small compared to the 7.62.
    I am just like at a loss of understanding. I will post new info on this as it comes.

5. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Is the mag. metal, or dose it look like orange,reddish bakalite?

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

22" would be better. Harbor freight.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

5.45x39 will fit in a 47 mag.

The odds of the 5.45 doing damage are slim. No enough pressure contained. But have it checked over by a gunsmith.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You sure it isn't an AK-74?

9. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

It says on the side "Cal 7.62x39". I will do a double check here soon enough. The body is in the shape of 74, things such as the muzzle break and everything but on the side has the 47's caliber. Also to answer a previous question it was the brown wood mags. Thanks for all of the help so far.

10. c3shooter

The 18" wrench is the carbine version. A little easier to swing in close quarters.

11. freefall

freefall New Member

The only reason I would use a pipe wrench from Harbor Freight is to whack somebody. For plumbing tools buy Rigid.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Fo sho. Whackage only. But perfect for that.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Aha. You are correct. He may be hiding.

14. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Is the diameter of the base of the cases of both types of ammo close enough to one another to even cycle?

I've heard of Germans using 30-06 though their 8mm mausers in WW2 but I've never come across this particular scenario with any other two different types of ammo working the same pipe.

Its possible that some monkey decided to put a 74 sized barrel on a 47, I know the two rifles have some interchangeable parts after all. Perhaps it was a frankenstien rifle from an insane kit-builder..

If one of my friends were to do that they know I'd introduce their face to the bottom of a shovel. :D

15. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

16. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Take the flash supressor off if you can and look at the muzzle. How big is the hole?
    Definitely have a gunsmith check it out just in case.

17. c3shooter

In a similar vein, was sweeping some brass up at the outdoor range, notice some straight walled long cases i did not recognize, so I picked one up. Apparently, one of our dimwitted members had run some .308 thru a 30-06- nicely blowing the case mouth and shoulder all the way out.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Haha. Knuckleheads abound.

A friend of mine had a Winchester M70 in .300 WEATHERBY Mag. He insisted it was a .300WinMag, no matter what I said.

So he shot .300WinMag out of it for about a dozen rds. Those empties sure looked funny when he brought them to my house to "check these out". Not quite straight walled, but pretty close.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You see?!?!?! THIS is why I started staying home and shooting rather than going to the local outdoor range.I can't count the times someone walked up tome asking if I could figure out why their rifle was not grouping only to find out the wrong caliber ammo was being used.

A scary and funny story though. My wife's grandmother keeps a 410 leaned against a wall next to her sitting place on the couch. THey had had one of their out buildings broke into and she wanted to be ready when they come back. Well..They come back and she didn't have her ammo (or glasses apparently) so she scampers down the hall to her husbands gun rack and reached up (Yeah..She's pretty short) and grabs a hand full of loose shells and slams one in her single shot 410. She flings the back door open, lines up her target, and lets the round fly. She was totally surprised being the recoil blew her against the wall but she says she got the bad guy and calls police. She tells them that she don't think she killed him but he should have some holes in his left butt cheek. Her4 husband hearing what he thought was the loudest 410 round in the world runs to her and grabs the shotgun. When he opened it up he got the surprise of his live. There was a spent 30 06 round in the chamber.
    They found the guy at the hospital an hour or so later with a hole in his left butt cheek.
    Now I've never tried to fit and 06 round in a 410 before. I really didn't think something like that would ever work. And if anyone else told me that story I'd call BS with a capital B. But that old woman would not lie to save her live. She is about as mean a woman you would ever meet when you get her mad. She's an easy Ky. (Clay co.) woman that was well known here in town for carrying a 38 S&W she called Molly. Her and Molly went to the store. Her and Molly where headed to the garden etc. Even now in her late 70's she's a good a shot and anyone I know.
    But that has to be one of the most bizarre stories I have ever heard.

Back to topic...Unless that "47" is some kind of frankenrifle and the receivers caliber stamp is simply not correct something is bad wrong. I'd look it over really good and probably want a gunsmith to check it out before I made it mine. Granny Agnes's old 410 still works though.So it might be fine....

20. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

Lol, Clay county is where my family and I are from. My parents are stilldown there I am up in Covington. But as Kenhesr has done a BRILLIANT presentation. I think I will just end up checking it out. I really think I will disassemble it and check the firing pin and everything. Thanks for the help guys. I will hopefully have pics of it soon, next time I go see my parents I will have some. I may just get them to e-mail me some.