Question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by DrJ105, Jun 6, 2009.

1. DrJ105

DrJ105 New Member

I have an XD .4 service model. I keep a clip of hollow point ammo loaded for home defense. Since this ammo will, hopefully, never be fired how often, if ever, should I unload it?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

As long as ammunition is stored at a constant temperature (preferably a bit cool), in a dry environment, it should outlast you. ;)

3. DrJ105

DrJ105 New Member

Yeah, I was referring to the magazine. Will unloading the magazine every so often only wear it out faster or should it be unloaded and cleaned/inspected every month or so?

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Your magazine should be disassembled, cleaned and dried. The re-assembled and loaded.

Keeping a magazine (with high quality springs) loaded does not affect the spring tension very much. It is "cycles" that wear out a spring.

As long as the rds are not exposed to oils and moisture they will last a VERY long time.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What he said. ;)

6. WDB

WDB New Member

No need to unload a mag unless your shooting the rounds and I highly recomend doing this on a regular basis:D

7. DrJ105

DrJ105 New Member

I'm talking about my personal defense mag. No way am I going to shoot JHP at paper. Obviously the mags I load with FMJ rounds for the range get unloaded with some frequency.

8. WDB

WDB New Member

It's a good idea to shoot some PD rounds when at the range if you practice at 25 yards, HP and FMJ rounds don't travel the same. I usualy finish up with a mag of PD rounds just to be prepared. PD rounds are more expensive but it's important to be familar with how they fire in your pistol. I shoot 2-3 a month and pop a mag of PD rounds on each trip. My 2C

9. DrJ105

DrJ105 New Member

That sounds like reasonable advice. Pardon my ignorance, but what does "2C" mean?

10. DrJ105

DrJ105 New Member

n/m. 2 cents.

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Ditto, keeping your magazines (not cllips) loaded will not hurt them.

Take this opportunity to buy extra magazines. Who knows what the next round of gun control will bring upon us. Buy all you can afford now, because they sure as heck won't be getting cheaper.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

No ignorance at all, the best way to learn is by asking.

2C = two cents