Question:

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Mongo, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

l just bought a new CVA .444 Marlin single shot break action stainless steel rifle. There is no target ammo that l have found yet. My question is: can l reload Pyredex into .444 brass and safely shoot it? Trying to get a round with less recoil.

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Yes but why? Trailboss is a powder you might like. Not a lot of call for .444 “target” loads. The market is strongly geared to hunting for that cartridge.

3. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I use Accurate 5744 for black powder duplicate loads in 45-70-405. It produces higher velocity, just under 1200 FPS in my Trapdoor Carbine, with less pressure than Trail Boss. Trail boss works great in pistol cartridges, but is inefficient in rifle cartridges.

I do not load for the 444. But a friend loads for his Handi rifle that is so chambered. His 290 grain cast loads clock at a bit over 1400 according to my chrono.

Mongo and JTJ like this.
  4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Certainly you can safely use any black powder or substitute in your 444.
    But you would then have all the drawbacks of black powder. Stinky, a lot of smoke, must clean rifle and cartridges with water after shooting.

Mongo likes this.
  5. Swampurnicus

Swampurnicus New Member

I agree with 5744 . It's clean and you can regulate how low you need to be.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting thread. I have been looking for 444 brass to make 410 shotgun shells. I have dies so it naturally follows I will end up picking up a rifle. I really like single shots and a low power load is nice to have. How do you like the CVA? I think I need a guns anonymous intervention. I am 80 and should be downsizing. Nah!

7. Swampurnicus

Swampurnicus New Member

Why should you give up because you've seena few seasons.

8. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

righto... I had a triple bypass done in Mar 2017, then I had two heart attacks and a stent put in.
    I sold a bunch of my stuff as I didnt' want my wife to get the "harpoon job" on prices.

Well, I'm still here and miss some of my great toys, and I can't afford to "buy them back"

9. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Mongo do you have a cast loads book? I load a lot of rifle with shotgun powders for lighter target loads.