Question to the community

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jeffkaiser1989, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

First off let me start off by saying i pray to god i never have to use my firearm to defend myself or a loved one. That said the question i have is Has anybody on the forum ever had to draw their gun and shoot to kill somebody? If so what was the aftermath physically and psychologically? How did you deal with the leos that arrived on scene? What was your first reaction after the shooting? Im not asking for what ifs here im asking for real expierance in the situation that i pray i never have to go through. I have talked with soldiers who have returned from war about the pshyc issues associated with war and conflict most of them due to their training have little problems some others are in therapy for PTSD. Im just wondering from the perspective of the average citizen what happens after wards?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thank God I've never had to use a gun in defense.

However, I will say, more than likely the people who HAVE had to here on the forums, won't want to talk about it.

3. jeffkaiser1989

I expect that as well but if anybody is willing to discuss it i would appreciate the insight to the situation.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think that is true.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Everybody has their own reactions.

When there is an accident on the highway, there are gawkers, there are people who slowed down just because the police were there, and there are people who shake their heads for someone being stupid to allow an accident to happen.

How an individual handles a shooting cannot be fore-told.

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Personally, Ive never had to kill anyone, thats a good thing! I think its a great question Jeff but the same way the Republicrats parse Gun Violence as a different animal than other "regular violence", Self defense with a firearm is a very small part of the SD community. Preparing your body to respond to any threat is certainly a benefit but nothing will compare to the reality of doing so with a baseball bat, your knee or a shotgun. Your mind cannot truly imagine or prepare for what it has never experienced. PTSD is just our soul trying to deal with something very bad that it is generally uncommon in our fellow citizens daily life, it not limited to Service Members although war zones create the greatest numbers of sufferers.

Pray we never have to respond but prepare your mind and body for the possibility that you may have to. If it happens to you, get help; if it happens too someone you know, try to help.

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

This came up before. The general answer was... no one who has been involved in such a situation cares to discuss it in an open forum.

8. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Jeff, if you haven't already, I highly recommend you read the sticky from Canebrake "Read this before you decide to carry" :
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/
    I found his statements to be thoughtful, informative and very reflective of how every person who decides to carry a firearm should act and re-act to certain situations involving the possible use of force, deadly or otherwise.

As for myself... I have never had to draw or fire on a threat yet... and pray I never have to.

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

No offense Jeff, but are you a veteran who deployed? If not, it would behoove you to be wary of the buttons you might push with those suffering from PTSD.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Question answered

11. vincent

vincent New Member

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die...:p

Seriously, there is a thread or two here on that and there are some members who have been in that situation.

Although, speaking purely from my own standpoint, if that happened to me, I'd not want to talk about it...:cool:

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Canebrake's post is brilliant. And it made me realize I might not yet be mentally prepared to carry. An excellent, eye opening read.

And I would never ask a veteran if he/she had ever shot anybody. :mad:

13. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I know two people who have had to shoot and kill.

One was an Austin Police Officer who was also my next door neighbor when I was in high school. I did two ride alongs with him before I went to college. He mentioned in passing once, when we were in the neighborhood where it happened, that he had been forced to shoot someone. They refused to put their gun down and so he shot them. He wasn't specific on the timeframe but I got the feeling it had been at least a couple of years and that the family was still in the process of sueing him and/or the city over it. He seemed...regretful.

The other was my brother-in-law. He came under fire multiple times in Iraq. Technically he was a field mechanic and his job was to repair vehicles that had broken down in the field. Most of his combats were during times when he was actually making repairs. He has confirmed kills but he doesn't know the count and doesn't want to know. He's a good solid redneck of a man who I don't doubt would defend his family with his life but he is also someone who never thought he would have to shoot and kill someone. I think he buries that experience as deep as he can. He had been drinking pretty heavily when he shared what had happened with me.

My family means everything to me. I would absolutely kill to defend them. At the same time I don't want to have to live with having killed someone. Being armed is truly a "plan for the worst and hope for the best" situation for me.

14. jeffkaiser1989

I have read that post before just went back and re read it. No im not active duty no am i formerly an active duty military. Unfortunately because of my ankle they wouldnt let me join. The information was volunteered during conversations i didnt really push for them to talk about it. If they offered it up than i listened so they wouldnt have to repeat themselves. There was only one time i had asked somebody about the experience of war i was 16 or so and realized afterwards it was a very bad idea to do so.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

First, we are all different and how 'killing' effects each of us is different.
    BUT one of the problems with the 'human' animal is we have a tendency to over complicated things like this.
    If you except 'reality' it makes it a lot easier to deal with the aftermath of violence.
    When I was a full time LEO I read A LOT of material on this and one thing I got from this was the individuals who had been involved with hunting, and/or butchering animals had a much better chance of dealing with 'killing a human' in a healthy manner than those who had not experienced 'blood and guts'. This I would consider common sense.
    I refer to it as 'crossing the bridge'. The first time I killed a person was in RVN. When I got back from RVN the first time I did a lot of 'soul searching' and came to the conclusion that what I did was 'right' not 'wrong' and if I had not killed I would have been killed. Do I suffer from PTSD? Yes I do, but not from killing another person, but from them trying to kill me and from witnessing the killing of others by the enemy!!!
    I used lethal force several times in the line of duty as a LEO and it did not cause me any problem because I had 'crossed the bridge' already and I was 'right' in my actions.

I have learned those of us who have experienced 'killing/combat' MUST talk about it if we want to:
    1. Get it off our chest and stay healthy.
    2. To help others who are having a hard time with it.
    So to answer your question. Until you 'cross the bridge' you do not know what you will find on the other side! Just "Do what ever you MUST do, but be right when you do it"! ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  16. jeffkaiser1989

Thanks for that reply forgive me for being dumb here but what is RVN?

17. M605

M605 New Member

It may more likely be legally can't talk about it too, I would not want to myself and pray I never have too. I use to work in a slaughter house I would put the beef down, bleed them then behead them. That was enough bloodshed for me. I think taking a human life would be greatly different and it something I would never want to have to do.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  18. JimRau

RVN, for all you youngsters, is Republic of Viet Nam, or as we referred to it, THE BIG GREEN LATRINE! ;)

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Republic of Viet Nam.

20. JimRau

True, but all of the stuff that was 'classified' in the Vietnam 'war' I was involved in has now been declassified!;)