Question on toy gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by concernedparent210, Feb 11, 2010.

1. concernedparent210

concernedparent210 New Member

I am new to this forum and I had a few questions. I am interested in purchasing a toy gun for my teenage son and I wanted to know which gun would be best suited for him. I want to get him a color other than black or silver because I do not want the police or someone else mistaking it for a real gun. Are there any guns manufactured in colors other than black or silver? I'm not really educated on guns and would appreciate if anyone could direct me on which toy gun would be the best and if they offer colors other than black and silver.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to our Community. This is a strange question that we don't really encounter that often, because we are a forum concerned with real live weapons.

Now, your son, does he want a rifle or a pistol? Does he want a BB Gun? A true toy, like a soft dart shooting weapon? A paintball gun, for paintball games with friends? A laser tag gun for laser tag guns? Or just a plastic gun for playing cops and robbers with friends after school.

Help us help you....

JD

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Squirt guns come in all different colors. Take your pick. Seriously, unless you are buying a paintball gun or an airsoft for your son he has no business with a toy gun. Kids have been known to do some stupid things with toy guns.

4. concernedparent210

I know it does sound out of the ordinary, but there are so many stories about toy guns and people getting shot accidentally. I really didn't know how to go about asking so I thought I would go to a gun forum and maybe get a few answers. He basically wants it to play with his friends and play the games like boys do. He said he wanted a toy bb gun that shoots metal bb's (?). As I said I don't know about guns but wanted to get it for him for his birthday next week. He does play paintball but I think they rent them. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks again for your help.

5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

You can get some airsoft "guns" that are clear.

6. concernedparent210

He plays paintball but rents a paintball gun when he plays. He said he wanted a bb gun that shoots metal bullets. As you said about kids getting into trouble, I agree and that is why I wanted to know if they came in any colors other than black or silver. They look very real. I tried to discourage him and I dont think I will get it for him unless it is safe and a different color other than the ones I specified. I appreciate your help.

7. concernedparent210

I saw those on the internet but he wants one with metal bb's. Is there a reason why he would want metal bb's?

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

Regardless of his age, giving him a bb gun can be a good idea. The only caveat, is that he and his friends will need supervision. I remember when I was given a bb gun, I was about 13 or 14 and although I was warned to only shoot at targets I put up myself, I found the barrel being pointed elsewhere and the trigger pulled. Never was there any danger of people being hit, but it's kid's nature to "expand" a bit beyond control if you know what I mean. I'm guessing that you have very little knowlege of guns so I would advise to seek out someone who has some experience to teach your son the proper use of a gun.

I'm sure he has ideas of using a bb gun against snakes, mice, other rodents and bugs, but again I recommend close supervision until he can be trusted completely.

Wish you the best with your decision.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

To me (Now this is just me) There is no such thing as a TOY gun. We have safe guns and real guns. Safe guns cannot and will not fire anything that would result in anything more than a sucker mark to the forehead. I use safe guns to teach kids how to handle and do all the safety actions I enforce in my home. Like recheck the gun to make sure it is empty when it is handed to you.

He is a teenager why not find a father figure (if he doesn't have one) that is willing to teach him firearms safety and proper handling. Start with a visit to a gun store (Local over big box if you can). There is someone in there that would help I bet. If not seek out a Hunters Safety course (Even if he will not hunt it is a good class to take).

As far as him getting shot by police I think your more likely to get struck by lighting. You have to be a parent and not a friend. You enforce rules like no running through the neighborhood with the gun and a ski mask on. You can only can only use it in the back yard ect..... You are the parent and you make the rules. This goes with proper training for both you and your son and anyone else who is going to be in the house like siblings and what not.

10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Sounds like trouble to me.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yes, he is a teenage boy and they are cool...all the reason he needs. Ultimately the decison is your's on whether he is mature and responsible enough to have it.

Everybody on this board probably had a Daisy Red Ryder bb gun as a kid and look how we turned out. :rolleyes:

12. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

IMO Toy or real you need to keep an eye on him and teach him to be responsible. Teach him that the gun shall never go with him without you permission and educate him on the officer involved shootings that involve toy guns.

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Not all guns are black or silver,the below gun is very real and the police take any gun shaped object pointing at them very seriously. it is in the end up to him to use common sense when handling a gun real or fake and for you to teach him that common sense. I like many kids when i was little had a few nerf guns and i did ask my mom to buy my a BB gun simply because i was sick of shooting a foam dart 5 feet across my room and wanted to shoot things farther away and develop skill and confidence, just a though on why he may want a BB gun. Good luck

Attached Files:

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Exactly how old is Teenage? Why not go to some Ranges and take Safety and training courses. IMO a Teenage boy should be shooting at least a .22 rifle. If you start the training early and learn safety I see no reason why it could not be something you could enjoy together.

Look here:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/happiness-23151/

15. concernedparent210

I have been reading all the replies and they are all good ones and I do agree that you have to be mature and it is best to be supervised and educated on gun safety. You hear of so many cases where young kids are getting injured (shot) and that is what I want to avoid. He is 15 yrs old and has a dart gun and his friends all have BB guns and I imagine that is why he asked for one. He does have a male role model and would be educated on how to use it and when and where it is to be used. From what I am seeing, BB guns do look very real and understand why any law enforcement officer would think it is real and this is why you hear of so many accidental shootings. On the other hand as it has been said, as a parent you have to educate your child on the dangers any gun poses whether real or fake.

I guess from what I am finding out, there are no other colors othewr than the standard black or silver. I will have to do some thinking on whether or not to get it for him. And yes as kids we all had our Red Rider guns and we did turn out well (we are still here talking about it so I guess we did good) ;)

Thank you again for all your replies..

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I made my sone learn the parts of his Daisy BB gun before I would let him have possession of it and he had to be able to recite the firearm 10 commandments before I would hand out (limited) amounts of ammo for him to shoot.

http://www.thegunzone.com/ten-rules.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

For all intent and purposes a BB IS real. While it may not be concidered deadly to humans it could be or at least cause some real pain. I think you're on the right track in your conciderations before the purchase. If you get it for him, make sure he understands the dangers associated with it and the punshiment that may follow if those dangers are ignored.

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I think a viewing of the movie "A Christmas Story" in in order here. Seriously.
    As a youngster, I too once suffered Ralphie Parker's fate and had an encounter with a ricochet from a steel BB. Fortunately I still have both my eyes. :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion:

What I normally tell parents (when asked) is that if they are planning to start their offspring off with a BB gun, that they select a cheap barrel cocking gun and lead BB's instead of the usual steel variety. This does two things. It slows the rate of fire (Load and shoot one BB at a time) and the lead BB's will be more likely to deform and expend their energy if they hit a hard surface, rather than bounce right back at the shooter as the steel BB's will sometimes do.
    .177 caliber lead BB Pellet | Gamo USA

And technically...... lead IS a type of metal. :D
    However an education on the safe handling of lead regarding the washing of hands before eating or drinking will be in order as well. Unfortunately there are hazards on both sides of the isle regarding steel vs. lead BB's.

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I think a viewing of the movie "A Christmas Story" in in order here.

Can't believe it took 18 posts before that reference was made...:) "You'll shoot your eye out kid."

20. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

When I was a kid, my dad taught me all about gun safety. He used plastic toy guns (yeah they looked real) at first. Then we moved to BB and pellet rifles. Got a couple of memorable spankings involving BB guns and birds and one unfortunate window incident :cool: . So as I got older, I moved up to rifles and such, always with my dad's supervision. After college, I remember going out shooting with friends and I realized it was the first time I'd gone out without my dad. I immediately noticed all the bad habits some of my friends had and how nervous it made me.

The point behind this story is that it is very necessary to build up a kid on how to use a gun. You can't just hand it to them and expect them to act responsibly. If there's not someone in the kid's life with firearms experience, then most ranges and gun clubs host events for kids. Most of the time they are free of charge and run by certified experts, especially if sponsored by the NRA or 4H. Even if the kid only shoots BB guns, then the training he gets will serve him well.

This past summer, my 16 year old stepson asked me to teach him about guns. The first thing I did was go over the four rules of gun safety. Over the next few days, I would randomly ask him what the four rules are and what they meant. Also during that time, I went and stocked up on snap caps for all of my guns. Before he gets to shoot a gun, he has to load, unload, and handle the gun with snap caps. I started him out on a 22LR pistol and rifle and made him learn how to clean both in addition to the safety training. At the range we shoot at, the RO's are mostly retired military and one of them in particular is really good with kids and he took over for me in the marksmanship area. Sometimes kids listen to others than their parents because there's less pressure. The RO got him shooting pretty well with the 22LR's and then we let him try a 45 and a 9 mm. He's gotten pretty good and really enjoys himself now, especially shooting steel.
    This summer, he's going to be taking some classes at our sportsman's club on range safety and marksmanship and is considering trying IDPA (if I can talk his mom into it). It was funny watching him "correct" his older brother when he was visiting on the safe way to handle a gun. Made me really proud of him!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010