Question on the right shotgun for hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by lucasmefferd, Feb 8, 2011.

1. lucasmefferd

lucasmefferd New Member

I just started hunting this past season and i am torn between what shotgun to buy. I am torn between the remington 870 combo or the mossberg 500 combo. Was told that a mossberg would be just fine but other people tell me not to. Any suggestions would be nice. thanks

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I love my old, beat-to-heck Mossberg 500, but it mostly stays in the HD mode with the 18.5" barrel nowadays. I don't get to hunt as much as i once did. I like how easy it is to swap barrels.

What would you be hunting?

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've had my 500 for many, many years. Never had a problem. It has been excellent.

4. lucasmefferd

lucasmefferd New Member

i would be hunting mostly deer. And maybe turkey

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. lucasmefferd

lucasmefferd New Member

bird and slug barrel

7. orangello

orangello New Member

SWEET! You should be set for thinning the jaywalking deer herds. The only bad thing i hear about Mossy500's is that the 500 can't accept a magtube extension. Of course, you can add a side saddle to hold 4-6 shells or a "speedfeed"-type stock for a couple of extra shots.

In the offseason, an $80ish, 18.5" barrel could make the shotty a bit easier to handle for guarding the home.

8. lucasmefferd

lucasmefferd New Member

so mossberg is worth the buy. atleast until i become a more serious hunter.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I bought mine in 1994, very used & it still runs fine.

10. Walley

Walley New Member

If you take care of it you can pass it down to your grandson some day.

11. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I love my Mossberg 500. I have the slug/bird combo and i don't regret buying it.

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I won a Mossberg 500 20ga. at a Whitetail's banquet some 13 years ago. I sold it to my buddies' 12 year old son Mitch for the price of the ticket ($10.00). Mitch's dad bought him a slug barrel for it and Mitch took three whitetails with it the very first year.

13 years later Mitch is still killing deer with that firearm and two seasons ago took a nice buck at nearly two hundreds yards with the Mossberg.

IMHO great price/value and it will get-er-done.

13. lucasmefferd

lucasmefferd New Member

thanks for all the advice... one more question scope or no scope? I a scope what kind/power? thanks for your opinions.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Alot of people like a scope for hunting with a shooty, but not me. At the distances you'll be shooting, open sights are just fine. Heck, I still have the bead sights on my Mossy, but the slug barrel should have rifle sights.

If you do go with a scope, make sure it is made for the recoil of a shotgun and had enough eye relief that you don't get bit. Power wise, a 2 power is fine. If you use too high a power of scope, you will have a hard time keeping the crosshairs on the target at closer distances.

15. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I have a few Rmington 870's.

One of them is a combo with two barrels.

I absolutely love them!

One came from my father, and one came from my father in law. All 3 funtion flawlessly.

16. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Either shotgun's a excellent choice and will cover a wide variety of hunting applications

17. Striperhound

Striperhound New Member

A couple of advantages to buying a mossy; If you decide to buy other barrels for it and don't have a lot of $$$ to spend the Mossberg barrels are usually cheaper than the Remingtons, and the bigger reason why I would buy a Mossberg if I was in the market for another shotgun (I have a Moss 590 & a Rem 870 Super Mag) is the L.P.A. adjustable trigger Mossberg now offers on certain models.

I've been drooling over a sweet deer/turkey combo (#54266) with L.P.A. trigger and fluted slug barrel (something Remm doesn't offer either) for quite some time now.

Buying the combo is cheaper than buying the gun and later adding another barrel. Some of the barrels you just can't get unless you get them with the gun, at least I haven't been able to find them.

I'm talking about a heavy walled fluted 18.5"" barrel like on a 590a1 that Moss. makes or any fluted 12 ga barrel for a Mossy or Remington shotgun.

18. lucasmefferd

lucasmefferd New Member

question

i got the mossberg 500 now can i shoot a rifled slug through the field barrel if so what choke should i use???:confused:

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bottom Line is that you could not go wrong with either of them!
    Try both of them and decide which one feels the best to you!
    Then buy it!:D