Question On SD Ammo

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by HOSSFLY, Jun 15, 2012.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

How many really feel better having (safer - more confident watever) having high priced advertised "most potent SD round" in your handgun than - lets say a 230gr FMJ in your 45acp :confused:
    Just courious- seems theres always somebody asking - "What the best SD ammo"?
    I realize a JHP is much better for tearing up "stuff" but hey- I've fired a few FMJ's at folks (well, they were "little people" :rolleyes:) but had pretty good results :cool:
    Again- just courious- I'm a firm believer in anything that builds self confidence :)

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm big beleiver in better ammo for SD work. I personally don't like hardball for defense. Saw a patient who shot himself with a .45 in the lower leg about a month ago. Nice little holes in and out. He was walking on it.

I like Gold Dot and Winchester SXTs because they have bonded jackets that don't like to separate.

In my .45s I do still like to stick with 230 gr, but something that will expand. I don't put a lot of faith in any handgun that doesn't say "Magnum" to do the job efficiently.

When my 9mm or .45 rounds will expand to close to .70 cal it makes me feel a little warmer inside.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Though I now carry hp ammo in my normal carry gun, I carried with wadcutter bullets for years. I always carry with the most accurate round for that particular gun. To me it makes more sense as there is a better chance I will want to shoot something other than a human with my carry gun. No matter what my target is I want the most accuracy.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I think about 95% of the ammo out there will perform like a champ, especially once you reduce it to JHPs/defense rounds.

I buy/carry Winchester Rangers for all calibers. I believe in the brand and they come in 50rd (as opposed to 20rds) boxes for under $30. That leaves room to have a little stash and plenty of "test cycling". But I'll buy any reputable ammo if the cost is right, and have the shelves to prove it. I've seen some tests demonstrating that Walmart WWB 45acp JHPs seem to perform about as well as any other tacticool round out there.

I don't carry FMJs unless I'm in the great outdoors. And for 9mm, I'm a little more picky about the specifics of weight, speed, etc. I'm a big fan of the Win Ranger 127gr +p+ in a fuller framed 9mm.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ball ammo in semi-autos feeds -- reliabilty comes first, right? Well, when you are comfortable, a tapered flat-nose is probably best, like a Keith Semi-Wadcutter of hard lead. Penetrates, cuts, breaks, dumps energy...

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

+p+ HP.

Confidence like having a 12" member.

7. oli700

oli700 New Member

I believe in every advantage I can get

Federal +P HST's in all my mags and one in all the chambers at all times

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  8. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

Both of my pistols have Win PDX1s. 124+P JHP for the 9mm and 165 JHP for the 40sw. I buy all my ammo at Walmart.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i thinks as long as you stick with any quality JHP ammo you will be good to go. some will perform better than others for sure, but i think as long as it feeds well, which IMO is more critical than whether brand "A" or brand "B" expands more than the other. if it doesn't feed and fire, then how much it expands or incapacitates is irrelevent.

10. oli700

oli700 New Member

never had a gun that wouldnt feed any factory ammo I put in it....must suck

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree. but finding out when the gun was needed wouldn't be cool at all. better to find out beforehand and move to another brand or another pistol maybe.

12. oli700

oli700 New Member

13. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

I carry Carbon DPX in .38 +P or .357 mag. in my LCR

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Any ammo to be used to save your life should be fired and tested through the gun it's going to be carried in. If I've got a gun that won't feed some expanding bullet I wouldn't bet my life on that gun. I don't like to bet on fmj to do much for me but for work it's pretty much all we have.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

All very reasonable replies guys -

16. oli700

oli700 New Member

Thank God for high cap

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

In addition to a larger wound channel, HPs are also considered to limit over penetration. Maybe that is not as much of a concern for the heavier & slower .45ACP, so I guess it could be acceptable, but I still prefer HPs. In lower calibers such as .25, .32 & maybe .380, FMJ may be preferred in order to provide deeper penetration.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

For SD, I like the HPs, especially in 45ACP...

19. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

That is one reason why I carry HPs.

20. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

IMHO the thing that matters most is reliabilty,accuracy, then penetration. When i first started carring my childhood adopted uncle was a county sheriff, he took me and my guns we shot all kinds of ammo to see what worked best. That is what i still do today, i believe more what i see from my guns than what the manufactor tells me. There is so many good choices now than 20 years ago, i just think the guys who are serrious in self defense will always make a good choice.