Question on Remington 510

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by TheOldMan, Jun 26, 2014.

1. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Just pulled in a Remington 510 that a client wants restored. Got everything disassembled but for the receiver insert. It looks to be made of aluminum and to my eyes looks like it may be sweated in (soldered). My question is: What is the best way to remove it? I need to prep the barrel and receiver for rust bluing and I want to clean and polish the insert (for better feeding)..

Thanks

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You have separated the barrel and receiver?
    It is not welded or soldered in place. I can not remember whether they are pinned or just pressed in place but it seems they were just pressed in.

3. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

The barrel and receiver are still together. After looking at it again and doing more research, it "appears" that the insert and barrel share the same two pins and once removed, I can simply pull the barrel and remove the insert.. I'll post some pictures once I pull everything apart.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Just jumped on to see the pictures and would like to see how it turned out.

5. Que

Que Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

yes sir that is correct. once the barrel is removed then the insert can be removed.

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Pictures and MORE Pictures

Everything is apart and ready to start the restoration.. I took a lot of photo's but will post just a few that covers pretty much what I've got to start with. The stock btw is toast and a new one should be here tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

More Pics

Here are the rest to upload

Attached Files:

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

The new Stock arrived today

Here's the new stock which came in today. Much nicer than the old one wouldn't you say?

Attached Files:

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Heck yeah it is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

10. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Looks better than my original and mine is in nice shape. Where did you get it, how much $$. My 510 looks gr8 but the barrel is almost in the white.

11. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Got the stock from Numrich. Price was $86.39 to my door. It appears to be brand new and will need final fitting. The trigger guard screw holes have not been drilled. It came with a new butt plate and screws though and the wood is very smooth like it's had a light sanding. I plan to slow rust blue the barrel and receiver. Not sure about the bolt assy. yet. I have seen different finishes from all blued to partial bluing and high polish. I'm also going to re-crown the muzzle and possibly true up the bolt face if I can. Both surfaces are rough. I will post fresh pictures as I go along.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  12. Que

great way to start out the restoration. never seen a stock held together with metal strapping before

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

LOL pretty amazing right?

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but I got an email from Numrich this morning and noticed they have a 510 bolt assy up for auction right now. Just thought I would mention it in case anyone is looking for one.

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Probably won't see another 510 for a while after I get this one done.. Thanks for the heads up though =)

16. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

New photo updates

I've got everything ready for rust bluing and final finishing for this rifle. I had to order screws for the trigger guard since whoever did the "repair" on the old stock also decided to use two different types and sizes of wood screws to secure it to the stock.... :rolleyes: Hope you like what you see.

Attached Files:

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

A few more

Got a few more.. Next batch will be after the parts are finished and ready for reassembly..

Attached Files:

18. Que

wow thats a great prep job you've done to the metal!!

19. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thanks.. Have a little more to finish on the crown then I'll start rust bluing...

20. Que

which product do ya plan on using. I do some blueing using Midway's Belgian Blue.