Question on PA 097-0465

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by mark_k, Jun 11, 2014.

1. mark_k

mark_k New Member

Hello, I have a question regarding Public Act 097-0465. I was wondering who I should contact to get some clarification about the law. If you posses a C&R to obtain a SBR, does the rifle need to be a C&R or can you posses a current SBR? Thank you.

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I had to look it up. It appears to be a state law in Illinois. If so, the State Police will tell you.

Class III firearms such as SBR are regulated by the Feds through BATFE. No matter how old, an SBR is not C&R eligible in any state.

3. mark_k

mark_k New Member

I tried called the local ATF office and they told me to call the State Police. I called them and they gave me the number for the Chicago office of the ATF, who were closed. I was just trying to avoid the run around that i will probably encounter tomorrow.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There ARE some class III NFA firearms that ARE C&R- however, you still need to apply to BATF for transfer. Only difference, a C&R NFA gun can be transferred directly to the C&R holder ONCE BATF approves transfer.

Re: modern day SBR- under Fed law, it does not grant any special privilege on NON C&R guns.

5. mark_k

mark_k New Member

So, in theory, I could get a Micro Galil, since its 27 inches with the stock extended, by possessing a C&R?

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

A barrel <16" is what matters, regardless of the stock length.

I am not aware of any galils made before 1964, but I haven't heard of the SBR's being C&R either, so will defer to those who have researched this.

7. mark_k

mark_k New Member

I just wish Illinois could just state, you can have a SBR and not have the C&R clause, would make life a whole lot easier. Guess, Ill see what runaround I get tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014