question on muzzle brakes

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by JoshC, Feb 1, 2015.

1. JoshC

JoshC New Member

I know how they work. But what I want to know. if I mill the end of my barrel to make a "muzzle brake" well it miss up acc of the rifle .all I am trying to do is get the muzzle jump down to a min on my step son's 243.

Just for fun of it if it can be done I am going to.do it to much 22lr as well

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would not do it directly to the barrel.
    Look at getting an aftermarket that screws on.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Will it mess up the accuracy of your rifle? I can give you an absolute, positive maybe.

Depends on how the ports are cut into the bbl, and the effects on barrel harmonics you create. How are you planning to make the cuts? Drill press, end mill, EDC machine? Brace and bit? :D

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

5. SparkPlug

SparkPlug New Member

a barrel can be threaded on the outside to accept a muzzle brake. critical is that it's concentric with the bore of the rifle to operate safely and properly. this is best left to a compentent gunsmith to perform.

i another point is if he's needing a muzzle brake on a 243, one might conclude that he's too young for a centerfire rifle to begin with. i first shot a 243 at about seven years old and had no problem with the recoil. by age of eight or nine, i was already using that same rifle to deer hunt with.

6. JoshC

JoshC New Member

Don't know if I'm saying this right but it would be on a milling drill press. Was looking around and a 3 slots on each side looks clean and simple to do.

The gun Smith that I go to is a good friend and well let do just about anything unless he feels it is unsafe.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Then why ask us our opinions?

8. JoshC

JoshC New Member

It's good to see what other people think. someone my of done this all ready and know what will happen.

9. Jlock321

Jlock321 New Member

Well if you're going to do this yourself I would recommend knowing what tools you are actually using first of all. Second how do you plan to fixture this barrel? Deburr the inside of said slot? IMO do yourself a favor and pay a professional to do it correctly or leave it alone.