Question of buyer loyalty

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Angry_bald_guy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Here's my dilemma. The local gun store I normally go through is a great group of guys. I really respect them, and they've been nothing but helpful in my first gun purchases. However, I am now looking at getting a compact Rock Island for concealed carry, and they stock them for $479. I can get one online NIB for $418 shipped, plus $20 for their FFL service means $440 gets me the gun. If I buy from them, I end up paying $510 or so after tax. That difference of $70 is rather large in my current financial state. I really don't want to offend the shop by buying a gun from somewhere else through them when they stock the gun on a regular basis, but that price point is something I can't ignore...

Essentially, what I'm asking is what would you do in this situation? Take the $70 hit and buy from them, or risk alienating them by shipping through them for a gun they already have?

2. VR4

VR4 New Member

Well ask yourself what would they do? I bet they would want to save money as well.

You could ask them to match the online price. If they say no then buy it online. It's not their money it's yours. $70 bucks is 2 or 3 mags you could buy for your new gun.

Now that WA passed the sales tax deal I have to look at buying locally because I not only have to pay a transfer free I also have to pay sales tax for what the gun is worth MSRP. Be happy you have a options.

Good luck.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Ask them to match the price. Save the $70!!

Then buy the spare mags, leather or some ammo from the local guy.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Or if they can't match the price, see if they can at least get close. Buying from them even though they know you can get it cheaper elsewhere will go a long way toward cementing your relationship with them.

Let them know that you'd rather buy from them, but money's tight etc. See what they do.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would not ask any of my relatives for a discount. Be it a haircut, car part, etc...
    Everybody has to make a living, and even if my dollar goes so far, so does theirs.

You know (and good suggestions have been offered) what to do. Any "upfront" dealer will work with you as much as possible, but can only go so far.

Your decision.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would not feel obligated to spend an extra $70 just for them. If they value you as a customer as much as you value them as sellers they will atleast try to come close to matching the price.

my $.02

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm with CA357 on this one. If it were me and they could get close to the online price, I would buy from them. I'll spend a little more to know if I have a problem I can just go down the street rather then having to deal with people via email or phone to get things handled.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Make sure they will do the transfer before you purchase. A couple stores around here will not do transfers on new items that they stock or can order.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

When I can I like to spend my money locally, even if it costs me a bit more. Supporting local businesses helps out the community where you live. I would see if they can compete with the online price, even suggest picking up the accessories from them.

10. russ

russ New Member

If it were me, I would start by asking them what they could do. If they could even meet me half way, I'd buy it from them. Like other have said, it is good to buy local when you can.