Question for the Resident Martial Artists

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, I am thinking about adding a serious heavy bag to the training area in the garage.

I want to incorporate some more striking into my basic training and I think a heavy bag I can really unload on would be beneficial.

I am looking at Faritex, because I have used their stuff for years off and on in various dojo's.

That being said, I haven't been in a modern studio or MMA gym in over a year and am wondering if there is better "punch" for the buck.

Criteria:

• Needs to be able to hang from a center mounted beam
    • Needs to be able to handle both punches/elbows and kicks
    • Looking for weight in excess of 150 or 200 pounds for resistance
    Thoughts?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Does it have to hang? A good bag that can take punches, low kicks, and high kicks also good for Muay Thai look into Wavemaster XXL. Little more portability and can be moved to save room.

Century Wavemaster XXL

Just my Opinion.

3. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Hey Bud, when training in my teens. My Dad went down to the surplus and got me a military duffle bag. Lg. size. Had loops on each end.. He filled it with sand.. Sucker had to weigh at least 200 pounds when done. Dad duct taped that sucker shut and we hung it from the rafters in the garage. Then drilled a hole in the floor, anchored an eye bolt and secured the bottom of the bag to the floor..
    That bag took over 5 years of the usual punches and kicks. But then came the nunchaku's and staff.. Outlived any "commercial" bag ! Because when I finally got to the "chuks", I literally beat the living life outta that thing EVERYDAY !!

And was cheap. We had the southern Cal. beaches for the sand. And duct tape is still cheap..

Hope this helps..

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

M y wife uses a heavy bag hung in our basement. she gets pretty mid-evil on the thing and it has not come down yet. She's not much on guns...she says she likes to get up close and personal with people that get her ticked off. She had a Dr advise her to get one for anger issues when she was younger.

she's pretty cool..for a girl..Just don't get her mad..lol:eek:

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've been using Title bags and I'm quite happy with them. MMA Heavy Bags | Mixed Martial Arts Equipment & Apparel from Title Boxing

There are a lot of muay thai fighters at my gym who compete for a living, and they kick the living crap out of our bags. So far, the Title gel thai bag is the one I like the most. It's 150lbs. If you want something heavier (200 pounds) try the Title LiquidShock bag, it's quite good, has a 10 year warranty on the bladder and shipping will be cheaper than bags that come filled (a big deal when you need to get it shipped to Argentina!).

I haven't tried a whole lot of different brands, so I can't really compare them to others. I just know they work for us.

6. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

My dad did that for me but he filled it with cinderblocks! Told me if I kept hitting it, it would make a man out of me. :D

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

My brother-in-law has these in his gym and it is what I train on when I am not using him. They are pretty strong and durable, and you can use it barehanded, as intended. His hanging bags have an eye bolt on the bottom and one can use a cable strap to secure it to the floor for more resistance, if desired.

I think these bags and select others at this site, are of the same quality, brands and price range offered by Faritex.

Extra Wide Heavy Bag for $299.95

Jack

8. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

I have a Century Body Opponent XL, it's a free-standing unit with the life-like body so you can get a little better idea of where your strikes and kicks are going. Base fills with up to 270lbs of water, so it can be portable by draining it. Got it on sale for $199, when the local GI-Joe's Sporting goods chain when under ;)

Other than that I use a hanging Title Grappling Dummy heavy bag. You can hang it for strikes and kicks, or take it off and throw it around on the mat :p
    Punching Bags & Stands > Title MMA

Also still have my orginal wing chun wooden dummy. That one will get passed down to mini-me ;)

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

In the dojo I used to go to (and this has been many years ago) the Sensi used a mix of sand filled duffel bags and Wilson heavy hanging bags. We also had double ended bags placed at different heights especially good for hard kicking workouts.

This brings to mind another thought you may or may not consider.

An item in the dojo the Sensi created was 2X4's wraped with 1/2" thick foam and clad with used fire hose. He would mount these about 6' long wraped 2X4's to the wall with a couple of about 5" long double stacked 2X4"s at each end in a verticle position. This would give a space of about 3" behind the wraped 2X4 for some flex. He would have us perform mandatory routienes of punching and kicking these as to toughen up and callous our hands and feet as well as keeping a proper fist and using the ball of the foot, both with accuracy, for full contact sparring. Also the wall was thickly padded a couple of feet either side of these things. Although unpleasant at first and somewhat risky for potential injury in a short time it became easy and it definately worked for the intended prupose.

Disclaimer: I dont endorse or reccomend this device. And if built and used; Use at your own risk.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Get a good leather bag that HANGS. Don't go for those standing bags that I can kick over, offer limited mobility, and almost no feedback. :rolleyes:

A hanging heavy bag will move and tell you when you hit it wrong, plus you have to use footwork.

Combat Sports Muay Thai Heavybag-Combatsports.com

We have four of these hanging in our dojo and I highly reccomend them.

There are several different brands that are just as good though.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

+1 to what gojubrian said ^

12. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Goju,

But it's so much more fun hitting 'BOB' :D

[​IMG]

And he does move when he gets hit. So other than doubling over, combination strikes are pretty life-like. And adustable for height, too.
    The younger guys (youths) get more into it, too, because it is more of a visual training aid for them, gives them a point of reference as to where they are striking. Don't get me wrong, I do use the hanging bag, too. Just not exclusively. They each have their merits and weaknesses. And with the 270 pounds in the base, it isn't the easiest thing to knock over, not impossible, but you'd have to know what you were doing. ;) The Title bag I listed, probably sees more action that old BOB, as it is mainly hanging. But every now and then I'll pull it down to let the guys try man-handling it on the mat. :D

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You can't do any leg kicks on BOB.

I like using BOB to mark points and try to hit them sequentially though. It's good accuracy training, but BOB still just stands there.

A hanging bag will move back and forth,side to side, and spin if you hit it off center. Hitting a heavy bag when it's moving is much more beneficial imo than hitting silent BOB there. I would like to shoot him though. ;)

14. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Saving that for when we finally wear him out ;)