Question for the Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Oaktree45, Apr 1, 2020.

1. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Did you Read locutus post. Up there

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like a retirement gun. Like a gold watch.

3. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

NOT if the factory nickel-plated it. The non-white personage in the lumber yard here is the name put on it.

4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Just so you know those Vintage stag grips are collectible on their own and are worth over $300.

5. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

Thank you for that information and I didn't know those grips are collectable.

6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

They are highly desirable. We stopped the importation of Sambar stag from India years ago and prices have doubled and tripled on vintage stag since then. I’m a big fan and many of my guns/knives wear stag so I buy a lot of them.

OLD Ron likes this.
  7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Oaktree,
    That goes back to what I stated earlier. You may get some decent money out of the gun because a collector might need a set of Original Sag Grips for one he has that is a collector. $$$$$$ As Wambli stated the original Stag Grips are going for $300 by themselves alone. So plus the gun it could still bring good money depending on what you think the gun itself is worth.;) And they did come in Blue or Nickel from the factory.

8. Oaktree45

I'm waiting to here back from Colt about the nickel plating but I don't have high hope they will have an answer on a gun this old. I've also sent out a couple of inquiries hoping to find out who P. Kiehl is but again, I don't have high hopes.

9. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I can see this being a "Chief's" gun for a local police department. It's actually a very nice piece, tastefully done and nicely preserved, and if I saw that on Gunbroker it would attract my attention REALLY quick!

towboater likes this.
  10. JTJ

SRK97 likes this.
  11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

12. Oaktree45

That is very interesting. You are a world class sleuth. The response I received from Colt gave me a website that archived serial numbers and info which included how the gun was finished. Unfortunately the cost is $75.00 and there is a 90 day turnaround time.

sheriffjohn and towboater like this.
  13. JTJ

No, I am retired and getting cabin fever.

OLD Ron and primer1 like this.
  14. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

15. Oaktree45

I have no history of the gun other than it belonged to now deceased brother. I wouldn't know vintage stag grips from imitation plastic grips.

16. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Take them off and look at the flat inside and it will be immediately recognizable as not plastic. Might even have a stamp with the makers brand such as Ajax or Eagle. Also the original grip screw was replaced with a hardware store Phillip’s head. A proper slot screw replacement should be available from Brownells or even eBay.

JTJ and Oaktree45 like this.
  17. Oaktree45

I was going through some of my brother's paperwork (boxes and boxes) and I came across the sales receipt for the gun. Unfortunately it is a generic sales receipt and doesn't have the name of the business or individual who sold it to him.

I'm convinced the gun was nickel plated at a later date but my curiosity got the best of me so I sent off the information about the gun along with a check for $75 to Colt Archives. The turn around time is 90 to 100 days so it's going to be awhile before I have the information I want. The official letter I get back won't have any information I don't already have other than how the gun was finished and where it was shipped to. I gotta know!

And you are right Wambli, I believe those are stag grips.

18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I learned this on Antiques Roadshow. To tell plastic from horn or ivory heat a pin with a match or lighter, touch it to the inside of the item. If it melts in, it's plastic.

primer1 and Oaktree45 like this.
  19. Oaktree45

Thanks for that tip freefall, the grips are definitely not plastic.

freefall likes this.
  20. Oaktree45

A friend posted this on my Facebook page and I have to share it here.

colt-police-postive-ad-1.jpg