Question for the bullet casters

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by string1946, Aug 15, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

Always in the pass when I change the die in my sizer/lubricator (Lyman 450)I would clean up the die that I took out before putting it away. That can be a pretty messy job. I'm just wondering if its necessary. I usually use mineral sprits for cleaning all the old lube off and that can't be good for the O ring and taking it off every time probably doesn't help it either. Then after cleaning you have to oil it with something to keep it from rusting plus next time you use it, you have to get it back full of lube before starting to run the bullets. The lube doesn't seem to get hard over time so I'm thinking about just dropping them in a snack zip lock bag and store the that way. Opinions please. What do you do?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't clean mine. I just put them in plastic bags.

3. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

Same here - I'm with Rick1967 on this one. But by all means, if I'm wrong, someone please speak up. ;)

4. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok thanks. I think thats the way I'm going to do it in the future. I can keep the top punches that go with each die in the same bag.

5. johnjohn

johnjohn New Member

I put 'em in old 35mm film cans.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is a good idea. But I don't know anybody with a 35 mm camera anymore.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont clean mine. bullet lube is a great preservative for the die. removing it is probably not helping your dies perform at their best.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I use the Lyman 450 with a Midway heater plate and Jake's Products purple ceresin lube. I scrape off the excess from the outside of the die, heat it enough to soften the lube and use a piece of copper wire to clean out the lube holes in the sides of the die. I have found small bits of lead and copper (from gas checks) in the lube holes. I now put them away with out any lube in the holes.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont use lube dies however im liking the lee alox for my cowboy bullets. very easy and its good enough for the low speed low pressure 45 colt loadings.

10. noylj

noylj Member

I left them in the lubri-sizer or I removed them and stuck them in a box.
    However, about 1976, I ran a bunch of tests and found that sizing was NOT improving anything so I stopped sizing my cast bullets.
    Went through pan lubing and now I tumble lube all my cast bullets with LLA. If I ever start casting rifle bullets again, I will go back to the lubri-sizer and the over-size sizing dies.

11. robocop10mm

If you are using a well made mold with the proper alloy, this could indeed be true. A well made single cavity or possibly double cavity mold could throw bullets consistent enough to not need sizing.

I use mostly 4 and 6 cavity molds and they can have a little more variance in dimensions. To keep everything consistent I size and lube

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. noylj

noylj Member

The barrel keeps it consistent. You should try it before you deny it.

13. kwwms

kwwms New Member

with the lube I use, wd 40 does a decent job of removing the lube. I try to at least clean off the outside of mine where they won't stick to the tube I keep them in. Used medicine bottles work good to store them in...and you can write the size of the die on the tops.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You can remove the rubber seal. Then use a heat gun to remove the lube. I prefer to just leave the lube in the die.

15. robocop10mm

The problem with that philosophy is an over sized bullet may cause the case to swell enough to not chamber properly. 1 thousandths of an inch may be OK

16. noylj

noylj Member

>Originally Posted by noylj
    The barrel keeps it consistent. You should try it before you deny it.
    >The problem with that philosophy is an over sized bullet may cause the case to swell enough to not chamber properly. 1 thousandths of an inch may be OK

That hasn't been a problem in almost 40 years. All I said was "ty it."
    SAAMI dimensions of chamber and cartridge leaves way more than a thousandths of room.
    Again, try it...

17. robocop10mm

As I am already set up to size as I lube and I like the cleanliness of the hard lubes (Jake's Products Purple Ceresin), I see little reason to switch to tumble lubing.

If it works for you, good. I am a traditionalist. I might grab up some TL in case of a SHTF time when I have fewer options though

18. Shade

Shade New Member

I have similar results with my .45ACP.

Most of my .357 and .452 bullets are cast from 6 cavity dies, and they do
    need resizing. They are extremely accurate when resized and LLA lubed.
    Better than any purchased bullet jacketed, swaged or cast.

Beef lard and bacon grease can be used in a pinch. Although you need to
    clean shortly after shooing as the corrosion protection is much less.