question for shooters

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mountainman13, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've seen a lot of pics of targets posted on the site with beautiful groups of multiple shots through the same hole.
    Most of these groups are just a few clicks away from being dead band bulls.
    My question is why don't you guys take the time to make the adjustments to be dead nuts on bull?

2. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think this is a good question. I have shot with many people who were after the tight groups, even if the group was not in the bullseye. They were happy to have the tight shot groups and didn't make any adjustments to their scopes. I go after the small groups also but I try to have my scope sighted in for the bullseye. Some shooters are trying different loads and they will hit in different places on the target. They will wait until they find the load they are looking for before adjusting their scopes. There is no need to adjust the scope for each individual load that is being tested. I have found the loads I like for all of my rifles so I have the scopes sighted for the bullseye.

3. Model70

Model70 Member

image-4292513104.jpg

I shot this group while developing loads for my wife's rifle. She'd been shooting 55 gr varmint bullets out of it, so the heavier 95 gr SST's hit lower. The windage was a little off, I adjusted it for the next group. I wanted to see how well the loads grouped, I can make adjustments after I decide what I'm going to use.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Makes sense. Great explanations. I know some guys that just want the tight group, aren't working out loads or making adjustments. Never understood that.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If I cut the center out of the target, then what do I aim for? Offset group by an inch left or right, still have my pristine X to hold on.

6. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Now here is a guy you dont wanna make bets with at the range. This is a benchrest trick. Anyone who knows to do this, will likely outshoot everyone else at the range while barely trying

7. Werminator

Werminator Member

I agree... C3 cheats!

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

during sessions of working up different loads, i am not nearly as concerned with exactly where it hits as so much of the size. after fine tuning a particular load, then i will make some adjustments to the scope. my POA is the same on every target when developing a load, so i can see the differences in the POI. different loads and bullet weights will alter the POI. then afterwards when i have found the optimum load for that rifle, then i might make some scope correections and then i mark these notes down in my load data book.some rifles i shoot might have several different loads depending on which weight of bullet being used. example: my 308 uses two different loads, one load for a 155gr bullet, and another load for a 168gr bullet. so i worked on making the most accurate loads for two different bullet weights. i note the difference in bullet drop and make a notation in the load data book. then if i decide to make a scope correction, i make the correction for the bullet weight i will use the most. then with the notes i made in my load data book i know what adjustment to make when using a different bullet weight.

9. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Consistincy is the key to accurate fire. Adjusting the sights is the easy part, once you get all of your rounds to land next to each other all the time every time, then you worry about adjusting where they land.

10. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

I wasn't implying that he cheats. I was implying that he knows what he's doing and for anyone else to be warned if he ever starts making bets at the bench. Just a little hunch i have although I've never met nor talked to the guy.

11. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I'll second that.

Accuracy is how close the center of your group is to the bullseye. Precision is how close your shots are to each other. A rifle that shoots 5.0" groups at 100 yards is accurate so long as the group is centered on the bullseye. But that same rifle wouldn't be very precise. A rifle that shoots 0.5" groups would be very precise but not necessarily accurate if that group is not on target. Precision is much harder to obtain than accuracy and so many people focus just on that, or at least I do. Accuracy, or adjusting your sights or scope, is easy once you make a gun (or yourself) precise.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ryguy- no offense taken. My motto is "If I am in a fair fight- my planning sucked!" :p