Question for Musket/Blackpowder Lovers?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by g2gunny, Sep 20, 2012.

1. g2gunny

g2gunny New Member

This is a legit question.

I have never shot a blackpowder rifle or a musket.

I just found this section of the forum actually, but I truely am wondering what is so awesome about these type of guns? Why not shoot a normal cartridge gun???? Is there something extra exciting about a blackpowder gun???

It seems like there is a cult following amoung you type, and I am about to buy a black powder gun to try to find out what all the fuss is about.

2. onetohunt

onetohunt New Member

To me, it is the thought of 1 shot, make it count. There is nothing like squeezing the trigger and the ka-boom sound and the air fills with the smoke and the aroma of sulfer. The excitement on grows from there. It is fun to know that is the way the west was tamed and our forefathers used this type of weapon to feed his family. If you ever get started in it, you will have a blast!!

3. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

until you "hunt and make a kill" with the rifle, i really can't do justice to describin the feelin. it's NOT about the kill, it's more about the 1 shot, make it count (as posted above), it's about the "felt history" behind blackpowder. there are a few things that one feels, but you won't really feel it, until you live it.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I have a 1953 Chevy. I collect old coins. I love antiques. I enjoy learning history. I dont know, it just kind connects ya to the past. Next step casting my own lead balls. Then making my own powder.

Give er a try. I recommend something traditional. Not an inline. And use real black powder. See if ya can take a deer the old fashioned way. Makes for a fun challenge.

These are a lot of fun too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

And don't forget all the accessories that go with it. Cappers, bullet pullers, short starters, speed loaders, pouches, bags, horns, powder measures, bullet molds, patch cutters, lubes......
    You can use your imagination and make a lot of these items yourself. I have used deer antler to make short starters and powder measures, leather scraps to make cappers, brass rods to make ram rods. Anyway, it can become more then just a way to extend your hunting season. Some folks will get an inline (some come with electronic ignition), put a scope on it and use pre measured pellets and fancy store bought bullets. They perform like a modern weapon but you need to clean it after every shooting session. If that is what you are looking for, go for it. The purist will take a flinter or percussion round ball gun any day. I still use my first ML rifle that was built from a kit my wife gave me on our first Christmas almost 35 years ago.
    Caution: May be habit forming

6. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I doubt it.

I don't know of any black powder shooters that don't also own a myriad of other types of firearms; black powder firearms take-up just 1/12 of my firearms collection.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. towboater

Yep, I shoot those normal guns too.

8. Hightide

Hightide New Member

Blackpowder

I like the smoke and the smell!! And I identify with the comment above about the connection to history. I haven't shot black powder for awhile, but I am considering getting back into it. I do prefer a six shooter like the 1860 Army, which to me is more fun than one shot at a time. But heck to load!

9. towboater

Yep, their loads of fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i hunted with blackpowder from 1960-1976 then got away from it. In 1999 i got back into hunting with blackpowder. Since then about 40 deer and hundreds of wild hogs have been killed with my blackpowder guns.

IMO: A blackpowder gun makes a person a better hunter.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Ever rolled your own cigarette, changed your own oil, cooked your own favorite dish, got a chick home without a roofie in her, or written your own manifesto? There is just something cool to me about making my own "cartridge" so to speak. You pick it, you pack it, you fire it up... It's like july the 4th with a purpose.

12. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

For me it's about the ritual and history, I was a history major in college so anything old appeals to me. I tend to like things that have lots of gear associated with them and that have a multi step procedure. It's fun to measure the powder, cut the patch, ram the ball, put the cap on or prime the pan and finally take aim and fire. I find it relaxing, similar to reloading metallic cartridges. I do own a bunch of modern firearms and enjoy them as well, but BP will always hold a special place.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

It's the art of the arms as well as the history of the people and times they are steeped in -- and you get to shoot 'em!

Without roofies?

14. Hightide

Hightide New Member

Towboater, what are the makes and models of those fine pictures?

15. towboater

The first pic is an 1858 Remington New Army. 44 cal 5 1/2 in bbl by pietta

The next 2 are 1861 Colt police 36 cal by pietta I changed the grip on the upper one to the thunderer grip.

Next is a 1860 Colt Navy by Pietta

Bottom photo. Top is 1860 Army 44cal Pietta

Bottom is same gun as above photo.

16. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

You can do both. Get a good revolver and reload the cartridges with FFFg black powder and soft lead bullets. How much black powder, you ask? As much as you can get in the case - there isn't enough room to put in too much powder.

For that matter, try it in an automatic pistol. Watch their faces when your M1911 vomits foot-long flames and clouds of smoke. :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

LOL My BIL told me how he'd get back at the guys at the range shooting their .458 Win Mag elephant rifles by shooting a .50 (fifty) cal Colt Walker and really rock their world. Uh huh Jim...

18. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i used an muzzy for the first 2 deer i killed. it adds excitment knowing you have one shot to work with. also its cool to think about the history of it all. it adds a challenge as cold and damp weather can be tricky. and my FAVORITE reason... the smoke cloud and smell of the burnt powder is the best smell ever!

19. cjn79

cjn79 New Member

Agreed. It's too hard to explain. Something great about it.

20. eaglesnester

eaglesnester New Member

what is so facinating about black powder?

U will know Ur hooked when ya start dressen in funny clothes.