Question For LEO's, One Chambered At All Times?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A friend of mine and I were discussing guns and how to safely carry. He insists that LEO's carry with an empty chamber so that if a bad guy gets the LEO's gun he has to cock it first before firing it. I think that may have been the case when semi-auto's were first being widely issued as service guns (was that in the late '70's?), but these days I wager that 100% of LEO's carry with one chambered and another round added to the magazine and then re-inserted. I would also wager that this is how y'all carry off duty as well.

So how was it back in the day and how is it now?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm sure there's variations from department to department, but I would imagine that a LEO with an empty chamber is very rare. Probably more likely to find an empty chamber due to negligence than to department policy.

3. Retcop

Retcop New Member

I Don't know about all LEO's but in my Department you are 100% right it is Policy. In many situations having to Jack the slide could cost your life.

4. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Viking dad, I'm not sure if you were familiar with the Norco Shootout in the 80s(back when Norco was a small town).
    Back then Most agencies were still using revolvers, and a reload cost an officer his life, and afterwards there was a shift to Semi Autos. I don't think, from my rudimentary look into things, that with most departments there was ever a"round out of the chamber" except for in departments that were using glocks. The Only agency I've ever heard of doing that is Israel. I'm probably wrong though:p

5. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

We always carried 1 in chamber but I never reloaded the mag. with an xtra round ...That round always went back in the mag. at the end of the day...

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

An empty chamber is for Marine Embasy guards. LE carries one in the pipe. An unloaded gun is an inefficient and expensive club.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Obvious that your friend is not a LEO. One up the spout.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've never done Embassy duty, but I know Marine Military Police carry one in the chamber, but MP and security forces (who do the embassy duties) are two entirely different MOS's.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I've seen a video on tv of a cop defending himself from an armed attacker, he definitely had one in the pipe, and plenty in the magazine.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive never heard of a LEO not having a chambered round in their sidearm.

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

You guys are all incorrect...I know for a FACT that un-chambered is SOP in Mayberry, RFD.... :)

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

You talking about Barney with only one round in his pocket? :)

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ha...yeah. He's the only one. I would hope that the real guys get to have one in the pipe at all times... :)

14. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

As of this moment in time…….. one in the chamber, 12 in the magazine in my H&K, 24 in the two extra mags on my belt, 48 in the four mags on my tac vest.. well, you get the idea.

Scubie

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Suh-weet! I'd say you're ready. :)

Take care and be careful out there...

16. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hell, what's to be careful about.... of course the Mexican border and Juarez Mexico, currently the most dangersous city in the world is only 50 yards from me right now.. Hummm, maybe I better be a little careful. :)

Scubie

17. 0321usmc2001

0321usmc2001 New Member

18. 0321usmc2001

0321usmc2001 New Member

Same basic set up just glock

19. 0321usmc2001

0321usmc2001 New Member

Sorry about my fist post I'm now to this

20. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

scubie...I try and inject a little humor in my posts...I'm just not that serious of a guy not to. But I do want to say this...in all seriousness...I can't tell you how much respect and admiration I have for you guys and gals dealing with that mess down there. To know that at any given time, you may be forced to make the decision to defend yourself, all the while in the back of your mind names like Compeon and Ramos remind you that some on OUR SIDE will scrutinize and apply the 20/20 perfection of hindsight to your actions so that they might further a political agenda. I truly don't understand how you reconcile the cost/benefit of the job, given that situation. I can only say that I and others like me are glad that you do.

Stay safe.