Question for LEO about emergency lights

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by partdeux, Dec 9, 2011.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

LEO on the side of the freeway no cars pulled over. He appeared to be out of the car. His car was lit up like a Christmas tree on steroids... But, what to me seemed to be a bad decision, his spot light was aimed directly into the eyes of the cars passing by his light show. I literally couldn't see the car in front of me from the intense blinding light.

I've read that drunks are actually attracted to the flashing lights, and that's why some many drunks hit LEO rides on the side of the road. First time I've ever seen a spot shining back like that and wondered if this is really a good idea?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

One thing I've heard and don't know if it's true, is that it's the BLUE lights that attract some people, and supposedly some people veer away from white lights. This is what I was told when I asked a campus cop about the new light bars they have on their cars, which have flashing white lights in them on the very ends.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

interesting theory, but that spot light was blinding.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, I'd day even if that theory is true, a spotlight is a bit overbearing.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The officer probably did not realize the spotlight was aimed in such a poor direction. Hard to imagine why an officer would invite disaster by intentionally blinding the passing cars.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I agree! I feel certain he probably did not realize it was aimed as was. And was probably busy filling out paperwork of whatever. Certainly doesn't say that it was an excuse. He should have been aware but sometimes we also do things that doesn't cross our minds until the light bulb comes on upstairs. Everyone should have blown their horn or flashed their brights at him "if he was just setting there alone" on the side of the road. That would have probably made him aware of the situation. As far as the emergency lights that is policy on most agencies if setting stationary along the road after a traffic stop or doing paperwork.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive had that happen before. officer sitting there forgot to turn the spot off i stopped and let him know he was blinding oncoming traffic. he said OOPPPS!! thanks!! and we both went on our way.