Question for lefty's

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Majog, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Majog

Majog New Member

I am trying to help out a neighbor kid that is left handed and left eye dominant. He can shoot open sights fine but can't shoot a scoped gun to save his soul from the devil. I have tried a couple of different rig/scope combo's with straight comb stocks and one of his that is a Montecarlo type left handed stock. The guns are dead on but he will tend to shoot mostly to the left but then all of sudden his group will be to the right or high or low without his adjusting his point of aim.

He says that he can't sight through the scope like he can with open sights and I think he gets parrellax no matter what scope or height of rings he shoots. He also seems to struggle getting comfortable behind a scoped rifle but is ok open sights.

Any suggestions?

J

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It sounds like he doesn't get a good or repeated cheek weld on the stock. In other words,he's not looking straight thru the scope,his head is at different angles every shot.
    A good way to test a correct cheek weld is to have him hold the rifle with his head resting on the stock with his eyes closed.Then open his eyes.If he cannot see clearly thru the scope,his cheek weld isn't correct.

There are cheek pads available from most shooting supplies,or you can make one pretty easy with an old t-shirt rolled up and then tape it,or wrap it to the buttstock.

3. Majog

Majog New Member

thx

Thanks

I will give it a try. I figured that is what it is but when I watch him closely it seems like he is consistent. Hard to tell as just a 1/4" can be a significant.

J

4. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I think Txhillbilly is right. I'm a lefty and have no problems with scopes, red dot type or open sights at all. I don't think it's a matter of being a lefty just that his sight picture is not consistent. Have you asked him if he sees clearly through the scope every time or does he see black areas around the sight picture? He may be getting paralax and not knowing it.

5. Majog

Majog New Member

I asked him that he says it is clear and consistent around the edges. I do agree that he is probably not getting a good cheek weld on a consistant basis.

j