Question for DDM4 Owners

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mudpupp, Jun 18, 2013.

1. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I have a couple of AR's from a DPMS to my new DDM4 V3.

When I clean the bolt Carrier of the cheaper ones I get a smooth wet look afterwards.

On the Daniel Defense Bolt carrier I can soak it in oil but the second I wipe it down, it gets a dry almost rough exterior.

Do you experience this?

I know it's clean, and I have tried CLP, frog lube, gun oil, and even mobile 1.

It doesn't effect the performance even though I live in a dry desert environment.

Is this normal for a DDM4?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a few BCGs like that, I can slather them in oil and next day they look dry . Run it til it quits and add more lube . Its just the coating some of them the black phosphate seems thicker the thinner ones appear shiny

3. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Cool...

I am running it through a 4 day Tactical class this weekend.

Guess I will see what happens after a few hundred rounds in the hot desert sun

Thank you for your response

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I got a DDM4V3 upper in 2010. Its bolt carrier is very smooth and stays shiny. It's the old unmarked carrier, the new ones have the double D logo. Anyway, my experience is similar to Purehavoc's. Some finishes are coarser than others and retain oil differently.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I might make a suggestion , I know there are lots of claims out there about this lube and that lube but if your seriously going to do a 4 day course go buy a bottle of Mobile 1 synthetic, I prefer the 5-30 wt . Dont grab some other synthetic off the shelf make sure its Mobil 1 . Keep it lubed up real good and you wont have any problems . 4 day course is alot of rounds . I ran 7000-8000+ rds thru one of my ARs , uncleaned during that time, just lubed generously every outing and had no issues in that many rounds.
    Have fun and play safe

6. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Like my OP said, mobile 1was one of the things I tried. I still have 3/4 of a bottle, so I am ready to rock.

Thanks for all the input. Course starts tomorrow morning (8 hours from now)