Question for all the smokers here.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Wolf1066, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

First off, I don't want this thread devolving into a pro- vs anti-smoking debate. Anyone who feels the need to rant about smokers - for or against - can do so elsewhere.

The question, for those preparing for some form of SHTF - be it fairly short term like a natural disaster or long term - who are also smokers:

What plans do you have in place for when supplies of tobacco/cigarettes are reduced or cut off?

I know from my own experience how even everyday stuff becomes even more frustrating if I've run out of smokes and am unable to get more. I can only imagine what a survival situation would be like compounded by growing nicotine withdrawal.

Survival situations are stressful and can play havoc on your demeanour. Nicotine withdrawal makes me as ratty as hell and increases stress levels.

Sure, in an ideal universe we would all have given up smoking long before any SHTF situation - but, as the good people of Christchurch, NZ can tell you, you never know when crap's gonna happen.

What preparations are you smokers making? Do you have different levels of preparation depending on whether it's short or long term, hunker down or bug out etc?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

If cigs are around, I'll probably smoke. If they're not, I won't. I can smoke for three months straight then go for weeks without any tobacco. So I don't go batsh*t without a nicotine fix.

That said, I'll probably start a crop of tobacco next year because a) I don't like to pay over $10 for 20 cigarettes, and b) it's a GREAT barter product.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I gave it up, but i would think some nic patches would last pretty well for emergencies.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When required, I have stopped smoking for several days, weeks, months at a time. One thing I have to do is reduce the caffiene at the same time.

But the first cig after that, whoa.........

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i was like that with caffeine and sugar drinks like soda. i cut that sht out over the course of a few months weening myself off the addiction. main reason was because of health issues (blood pressure) but your thread brings another benefit to light. i wont be fiending for that crap if things go to hell.

6. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I only smoke cigars on special ocassions or every 2-3 weeks or maybe every month or two depending on how much is in my humidor. For me it's just a luxery and in a SHTF situation I could easily give them up or live without them, but they would be nice to have ;).

8. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't mean to downplay your addiction, but put simply .....just quit! ;) A couple of days of cold turkey and you'll survive it.

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Timks, not to start in on the argument, but it often doesn't play out that well. Often times, those closest to me know when I've tried to quit smoking, I end up treating those around me like crap, and a bunch of other little things change. The cravings can also hamper your ability to number crunch and process data, and if you work five days a week... well you don't have that couple of days.
    Anyways dan, I plan to look into using dip in my bug out bag. Smoking in a shtf situation could, and probably would, end very badly, especially if light discipline is not maintained.

Natural Selection- God's way of Fixing Stupid. -me

10. opaww

opaww New Member

I been smoking for some 45 years and wish I had never started, but sense I can't go back in time to stop from smoking I live in Kentucky which is Tobacco country. Hell I can roll my own

11. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Not arguing here at all, but unless your idea of a SHTF is very different from mine, your life WILL change. Now if you're talking about a depression, or some such minor happening, then tobacco will still be around.......maybe black market, but still available. A true SHTF deal is major big-league sh!t. :D ......and I think a nicotene addiction will be a ho-hum deal.

12. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Two rolls of chew in the gun safe. buy one a week and change it out with one of the rolls there.

13. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

You could just buy enough to last a month, and continually rotate them. Like, buy two cartons instead of just one (or however many you smoke in a month... I dunno anything about them, heh), and when you are ready to start on the second package, go buy another before replacing it. Keep doing this so you always have a carton on hand, and they are never more than a month old.

Though, the nicotine patches sound like the best solution for sure.

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

That makes sense, but the same thing doesn't apply very well for cigars unless you have a humidor with you ;).

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

my mp unit got tagged a lot to play op-for i have always been a non-smoker and at nite even with nite vision creeping through the woods i could smell the smokers inhabiting the "enemy" foxholes loooooong before i could see em in the nvds.

just something to consider

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Interesting reminder of something I learned while undergoing flying lessons, smoking drastically decreases a persons night vision capabilities.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

An old roomate of mine kept her cigs in the freezer to keep them fresh. She would pick up a couple of cartons at a time.

18. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

orangello, did she say how well freezing kept them fresh?

Here in NZ tobacco grows quite well and it's (currently) legal to do so for personal use (selling it, OTOH, is depriving the NZ gov't of their ability to tax the crap out of people and would land you in big trouble).

I was thinking:

Small emergencies involving evacuation (flooding, fires etc): a couple of days' supplies on hand would be sufficient as you'd be evac'ed to somewhere with shops, running water, shelter etc.

Staying put SHTF situations: growing my own (good idea anyway, considering the rising prices) and using a pipe (as rolling papers may be hard to come by).

Bugging out SHTF: Probably a few packets of smokes and a two-month course of Zyban.

19. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yeah I figure in a shtf any addiction is going to be hampering. Better to roll detached and un addicted

Natural Selection- God's way of Fixing Stupid. -me

20. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Smoked for more than 50 years and quit several years back, Yep surely do miss it, and one of the hardest things I did. Tried several times cutting back to stop. No way for me. Only choice was quit cold turkey. If I had a short time to live, I might consider doing it again!!! Not many public places you can smoke anymore. Big bother is watching you?????