Question for all of you veteran's

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by beastmode986, Sep 16, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I always wondered, do you vet's have bad hearing from serving? I never knew weather or not you guys have earplugs in during firefights or do you just deal with the loud noise?

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have been out of the service for 40 years, and my ears have been ringing and deteriorating ever since. Right ear hearing just about gone, left ear close behind. Bombs, bullets, and grenades destroy ear-drums. In a firefight there is no time for earplug insertion, it time for death, yours or theirs. Choose wisely.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe there are a lot of hard of hearing veterans.

4. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Not just the explosives, Generators, Track Vehicles and radios didnt do much good for mine. Sometimes we just act deaf, usually when we hear BS!

5. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Im a newb to the guard but some days my head rings like its going to fall off.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

WHAT? SPEAK UP!

Yes, a LOT of us have hearing loss. Trying desperately to keep what I have.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Yup. There are a lot of loud things while serving. I have already shown some hearing loss.

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Even if you weren't in a fire fight try crawling around under a whining F4. We had hearing protection but it was still very loud. My ears ring constantly.

9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I want to join in a few years so I was wondering. I wonder if they have an ear plug verison of these somewhere
    http://www.meijer.com/s/pro-ears-pr...id=Google_G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Sporting_Goods

put em on before you go out and then you can hear orders and not damage your ears. when i first went shooting I did not use protection for the .22 pistol or rifle but later on i hear a minor ringing. Thats one of the things that worries me is loss of hearing.

Edit: quick Google search showed me these http://www.earplugstore.com/etymotic-gsp-1-electronic-earplugs.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  10. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I have often wondered this as well. I've heard in an intense adrenaline charged situation your body will actually shut down got hearing to where you don't hear the loud noises ie a self defense situtation. I would assume over the length of conflict in war time however it takes its toll.

11. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

I have had a lot of hearing loss. I believe it has more to do with the extended periods of time around loud vehicles and generators than it does to gun fights. I am an 11B with three deployments and prior to my military service I had no hearing loss. Now every time I take a hearing test my right ear shows more loss. My advice is get a good pair pelican comtac 2 head sets and wear them every time u leave the wire.

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I'm 23, and barely passed a hearing test for
    My job. Blame Loud diesels, raging sound systems, chain saws and straight piped v8's.

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There it is. And (for those of us who fought prior to Pelican Comtac 2 headsets ;)) not only was there no time but in the noise of contact some communication beyond hand signals is usually necessary, regarding target location, casualties or some other kinetic issue.

There's an adrenal effect on the senses when your neurotransmitters start going apesh*t...vision, sense of smell, even hearing becomes extremely acute, the body's way of compensating for and adjusting to the threat of "death, yours or theirs." And that may explain to the OP why ear protection isn't necessary or advisable in combat even though the noise contributes to your future deafness.

If there is an upside, it gives you an excuse for "tuning out." ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  14. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Veterans and hard rock fans of the sixties do have audible problems. M16's and the Rolling Stones still ringing in my ears.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

In addition to the issue of putting the hearing protection on in the first place, there is the issue of battery replacement. The military runs a lot of stuff on batteries and having yet another thing you have to carry batteries for might be a problem. On the same note, those in-the-ear electronic plugs probably use hearing aid batteries which are not only very, very small (but lightweight!) they do not last that long. Ask anyone who wears hearing aids how often they have to change batteries.

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

WHAT DID THAT KID SAY? Yep and ringing in the ears all the time is fun too.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That is the reason I changed the ring tones of our phones.

But it is not just veterans. Check out a bunch of old hunters. Most are deaf or going deaf.

18. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

a veteran will always have hearing loss its good for up to 20% disability! mine has to from working on large recep aircraft back in the 70s aint got nothing to do with getting old

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Most used earplugs in the army in the 80's, Cigarette butts!