Question for 1st AR build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by capnklump, Oct 13, 2012.

1. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Are all stripped lowers created equal? The reason I am asking is I am a "lefty", therefore I want to use the Stag Arms lower parts kit in lefty or ambi configuration. That being said, my LGS has some stripped lowers in stock, but they're not Stag. They're another brand..... Since a person would have to go through an FFL for the lower, I'd rather not order it online if I dont have to. It would just be a whole lot less complicated for me to get the stripped lower from the LGS & order the parts from Stag...... Thoughts??

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You don't mention who makes the lower you are looking at.

From what I understand they are all pretty much the same these days except for the rollmark. At least for your first build that is.

3. capnklump

capnklump New Member

The brand name escapes me....... He told me but I forgot. He did however mention that it was a "quality" lower.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

As is everything he is selling I am sure. You ever sell something and say "Well, its cheap but it ain't very good neither."

5. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Point taken. Once I re-aquire the particulars, I'll do my own research.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There are AR vendors here on FTF. Look 'em up.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You want a Mil Spec lower ... most if not all will be. For a lefty configuration it will be the upper that is different. STAG makes lefty uppers and I think a couple of others just not sure of the names.

When it comes to the lower it will be personal preference really - rollmark, forged vs billet, finish quality, etc.

8. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

They do make lefty lowers but goodluck finding one. Stag makes an ambi mag release so add that along with an ambi safety and you will be golden

9. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

RRA has south paw upper & BCGs , been doing searches for my wifes build & she's a south paw Mickey

10. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Note to myself don't reply until you have enough coffee in system to kick start grey matter RRA have complete rifles that LOOK like they use left hand lowers. Stag have complete upper south paw that use standard lowers Mickey

11. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Update: Called my gun shop guy back today, & he said the brand name of the stripped lower is "Essential Arms". A fairly small company that manufactures & machines all their parts right here in my home state of Louisiana. I'll go by there & check it out when I get in from work offshore. But from what I gather from researching online, its a top quality product that they stand behind, & it is mil-spec. Looks like I may throw a little business their way.

http://essentialarms.com/LOWERSANDPARTS.HTML

12. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

As long as its milspec you will be great. It's much easier to pick up one that your lgs has in stock than ordering one. I went with one made right here in good ole Pennsylvania

13. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I think Sig makes an ambidextrous lower.