question about wood

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jess, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Jess

Jess New Member

what type of wood is readily available, has a pretty grain, is NOT pine, is suitable for making a furniture piece out of, and holds up well?

Thanks guys, its nice to have a whole gaggle of you at my disposal;)

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

We're a gaggle now??

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Red Oak is readily available at places like Home Depot or Lowes. Kind of expensive though.

4. supergus

supergus New Member

Is this going to be heirloom quality furniture or a workbench? are you willing to pay good money?

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Roughly how big is the piece, and will it be bearing weight?

6. Jess

Jess New Member

I guess I should have been more specific. They will be headboards and frames for beds, 2 twin 1 queen. My husband is pretty good at showing his love by making me stuff and these are next on the list. but he isn't creative, just good at making exactly what I want, which is a fantastic quality. I can spend money on the wood if they will last.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  7. Jess

Jess New Member

something more manly than a gaggle?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on (1) what you want it to look like, and (2) What you want it to look like.

The obvious (and pricy) woods are mahogany, Cherry, Walnut, Birds Eye Maple- and well as the more exotic woods- like teak, ebony, rosewood, etc.

However, the wood used in a lot of the 60's style furniture was Birch. Mainly in the form of plywood. Fair grain, easy to work with, light color, can be stained darker.

For a darker wood, Cherry is very nice, but pricy.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

No, I think gaggle could apply now that I think about it.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

1) Get in the Yellow Pages

2) Look for a smaller (not big chain) lumber yard.

3) Smaller yards often have the widest variety an higher quality pieces. You'll find the exotics that a Home Depot has never heard of.

4) Contemplate your color scheme before you go. I'm straight, so interior design is something I don't grasp, but I do a little woodwork for my own pleasure, generally small pieces. There is wood to match any color you might have in mind, and many times it is the most beautiful grain-wise. Purple heart is striking in it's color, and the grain complements it to perfection. White waxwood presents almost like elephant ivory, and the grain is almost non existent on better pieces. It's too flexible for a bed, but it is indestructible. If you could manage a chair out of it, and dropped it on the sidewalk, you'd be replacing a sidewalk.

11. supergus

supergus New Member

12. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

Woodworking is my other passion. For quality furniture you're going to want to use a good hardwood. There are many choices, and the decision is largely going to be about what you like, and what is available in your area.

There are plenty of places on the Internet where you can get basic information about hardwoods and look at samples - here is one: Hardwood Info. Google around and you can find others.

My personal favorite wood is cherry, which is undergoing a resurgence in popularity. It's a beautiful wood, especially if left natural. It's much lighter than most people realize. Two things to be aware of with cherry are that it will naturally darken with age, eventually turning to a deep reddish brown, and that you need to be aware of sapwood. Sapwood comes from the outer layers of the tree, and in cherry it is much much lighter in color than the heartwood. Sapwood will not darken over time, so most woodworkers make sure we cut that out. It can make for more waste than with other wood species.

In the big box stores (Lowes, HD, etc.), your choices are going to be pretty limited. You will find red oak there, and you may find some maple. Prices will be pretty high as well. If you can find a local lumber yard that specializes in hardwoods you will find a lot more choices and better prices. The hardwood lumber yard may only have rough lumber - wood that has not been surfaced to standard dimensional lumber. If so, and if you don't have the tools to mill rough lumber (a jointer and planer are what most of us use), the lumber yard will usually do that for you for a nominal fee. Some hardwood yards will also sell hardwood that is S2S1E, which means surfaced on 2 sides and 1 edge. You can easily break that down with ordinary tools.

Good luck, and post up a pic of the project when it's done.