Question about sighting in a scope

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I bought a Primary Arms 1-4x scope and mounted it on my new PSA upper. When sighting it in I kept it at 1x and sighted in at 25 yds. I then zoomed to 4x and shot at 100yds and it pretty much was dead on just a little high which I expected. I then went back to 1x and shot at 100yds and it was way off. I do not have much experience with scopes that have magnification. What is ur take on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Hope this helps..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Try to do this..
    [​IMG]

3. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Should I have sighted it in with the zoom all the way in or out?

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

How much money did your scope cost? I al unfamiliar with primary arms

5. ccase39

ccase39 Member

It is an inexpensive starter scope but it got excellent reviews for what it is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  6. ccase39

ccase39 Member

It is an inexpensive starter scope but it got excellent reviews for what it is.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-4X-24-Illuminated-Scope-PA14X-p/pa14x.htm

I got it to learn on before I make a big investment. Not anything I would try and reach out to 500yds with but it should perform very well under 200.

Sorry double post lol.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

To me it sounds like it is failing to hold its zero as the magnitude is adjusted in or out??? Do you have access to a gun vise?

8. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Sure don't. I didn't get to spend a ton of time with it. I got it shooting good groups zoomed in at 25 and out at 100. When I sighted it in should I have zoomed all the way out or does it matter?

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

It doesn't matter.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Check the scope mount. Next, rule out the parallax.

11. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Could be that its a cheaper scope. I don't know much about them but I'm going to look now. I wasted money on a cheap UTG at one point and the thing wouldn't hold zero to save its life. I learned my lesson buying cheap optics. Not busttling your balls, just sharing what's happened to me with cheap hardware.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Just looked them up. I did not read any reviews, but $250 for a red dot sounds like they should be of decent quality considering the price. Maybe you got a lemon? Have any friends with quality scopes you can try so you can rule out operator error?

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

13. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

^^^ This. I bet it's parallax.

14. ccase39

ccase39 Member

How do I fix parralex?

15. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I am almost sure it's operator error. It's a cheap scope but should perform at 100yds. I will try and find someone to help at the range or go to my guy at my LGS.

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If its the scope and it just wanders when you zoom in or out, you could use the irons for close up work, and set the scope to a desired distance and leave it. Some scopes will wander when just turned off and then back on though.

17. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Can't use my Mbus with it. I would have to remove scope. The rear flip up sits beneath eyepiece. Only has 3.5 eye relief and it's not enough to mount scop any farther away.

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Gotcha. I hear Primary Arms has great customer service, so if it ends up being the scope, talk to them and they should take care of you :)

19. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Will do. I heard that as well which is one reason I went with them. From what I understand it is like the Vortex Strykfire in the way that you get a lot of scope for a little money. I will one day invest in a good one but right now I am in the middle of a build and in the middle of buying a bad ads 1911 so my gun funds are limited.