Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at my range, and in the course of sweeping up my ammo, for future reloading, i have swept up about a dozen spent casings of Serbian made PPU ammo, 9 MM.

i think it is imported here by a company in CT.

anyway, the primers have a "red seal??" around them. so, i popped out a couple and a couple of Remington primers.

to my naked eye, and then using a magnifying glass, they look the same. i only see one burn hole, in each, not like a Berdan primer. which i had found in say the Wolf ammo i shot some time ago.

i tried googling what primers PPU uses, can't find that info.

so, does anyone here reload this PPU brass?

sorry to say, that i have a very lousy digital camera for close up photos, they are all blurred.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PPU brass will reload just as good as any other range pick up.

Scrounge all you can get.
ok great. i had in fact, sent them an email, asking (if the distributor even knows) what type of primers do they use. i had been told in the past, stay away from Berdan.

·
Registered
522 Posts
From something you said in the previous posts, you are '... stay(ing) away from Berdans'

Berdan is not a brand of primer. It is a particular design of primer. The U. S. style of primer is the 'Boxer' type. The two types are NOT interchangeable. The cases used are made differently and the diameters of the cups are just enough different to be a pain in the yarmush.

Most loading manuals will explain it with pictures in the boring part before the data.

But that is why one avoids Berdan primers. It takes 'special' tools not needed for Boxer primers, and special primers. (Probably not so hard to find in Europe.)

Irony lesson for the day. The Boxer primer (system) used so commonly in the U. S. was invented by Edward Mounier Boxer (English inventor). The Berdan primer (system) common to Great Britain, Europe and most of the rest of world was invented by Hiram Berdan of Berdan's Sharpshooters fame in the U. S. Civil War. So much for 'invented here' considerations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts