Question about selling a rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by GREGULON, Oct 20, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I have the task of selling my departed friends M14. It is in great shape, but my question is do I need a FFL to sell it? Is there anything I should look for in the M14.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, you do not need a FFL to sell an occasional gun. However, if you have a FFL that will sell it on a consignment basis, relieves you of a lot of headaches, and may bring a better price.

When selling, if sold to a resident of another state, you would need to ship it TO a FFL in the recipient's home state. Be sure to include a copy of your driver's license so the dealer can record it in his "bound book".

EDIT IN LIGHT OF BELOW- I am assuming this is a Norinco M-14 which is semi. LEGAL full auto military M14's are scarcer that hen's teeth, and another matter entirely.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It depends, are you talking a REAL M-14, as in select fire military machinegun? Or are you referring to an M-1A semi-auto only look alike? An M-14 that is on the machinegun registry is EXTREMELY valuable and pretty darn rare. They are transferrable IF you follow the proper paperwork trail.

4. racer_x

racer_x New Member

My 2cents. Sounds like a rifel that needs to stay with the family.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You're in dangerous waters here.

Was the gun released to you by the estate?

It is illegal to sell a gun you do not own.

6. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

My friends wife asked me to sell it for her.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Refer to the third line of my above post.